Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: river fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Default river fishin

I fished a small slow movin (30yds wide) river yesterday(Mud River). It is known to have some good crappie fishin. I was fishing near where this river dumped into another bigger river (Green River). There were young shad everywhere! It looked like you could "walk on them". I did not see any fish feedin activity on these shad and did not catch any crappie. I wonder how you would catch any fish when there was so many baitfish everywhere. Anyone else ever fish under these conditions and have any advice.

PS I was not fishin during what I consider prime time. Early morning/late evening. And I only fished for a couple of hours.
    Last edited by crappiecrazy; 11-10-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

For something like that, I will fish a 16th jig first, at all different depths, and if I don't catch anything, I'll try a small crankbait, and maybe a horsehead spinner. I do find it harder to catch crappie when the bait fish is balled up really tight (I think they gourge themselves, and won't hit anything). I fish the edges of the bait ball. I like to troll around and see if anything is on the bottom (depending on how deep the bait fish are) and I fish around that structure, it seem to me that the crappie will hold around the structure and when the bait ball comes by or close to them, they will feed.
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet