Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: NITE BITE @ long bridge on Lake Harding3/5/05

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NITE BITE @ long bridge on Lake Harding

Waited for the wind to die down before going to the lake. Launched at 10pm. A few other boats were tied to the bridge. I tied to the north side of the middle pilon dropped 2 green lights and a floating light(white). No bait fish came to the lights all night. I didn't see a stray minnow, nothing. The crappie were biting at 3' -5' deep. Suprised me as the water was 53 but we caught no crappie deeper than 5'. The bite was slow but the ones we caught were nice ones. We landed only 9 but all were over a pound. Also caught a few taterchips but not many. I caught one of those green carp too, about 14 inches.
    The stripers were stillmaking a mess of our lines. I didn't catch one but I broke my line on the new ultra lite. My daughters boyfriend caught 4 over 5lbs. He was happy with the trip. I didn't tell him that 5lbs was really a small striper. We have landed numerous 20+ pounders under that bridge. I have to work in a few hrs so we headed to the house about 2:45. Water was smooth as glass headed back to the ramp. I sure wanted to stay and fish some dock lights but work gets in the way. I will get them tonight. I don't have to work again till tuesday so I will post another report when I get home monday morning or afternoon.
    Last edited by FalconSmitty; 03-09-2005 at 11:50 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3/9/05 pm

I went back to the bridge tonight. Same story. Kinda slow. The white bass were biting great but the crappie were slow. Caught one about 2lbs and several just below that one. Everything shut down by 11pm so here I am posting the results.
    Water temp was 55+ before dark. we landed a few over my latest condo in 26' of water. They were holding in the bamboo at 15'.
    Won't be long till the spawn. :D I can't wait
    Last edited by FalconSmitty; 03-10-2005 at 12:01 AM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty....from the reports I have seen you post in the past couple of months, it seems like Harding has some huge crappie in it. Sounds like a quality crappie population. Do you have any idea how long the drive is from say the Yellowjacket creek area on West Point down to Harding? My family lives in Newnan, and we might make skip a lake next time and go right on down to Harding. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The lake does have some big'uns in it. The majority are from 1/2# to 1 1/2#. I catch plenty of dinks too. The lake is about 45 minutes from newnan. If you go I can give you a short route. I fish the tailrace of wpoint I have not fished on the main lake for years. WP has great numbers of crappie but they are smaller. harding isn't as well known but to me it is one of the best crappie, striper and hybrid lakes in Ga/Alabama. Come on down. If you let me know when I can meet ya to show you some great places that hold the slabs. If it is after the spawn I'll put you on my condos.
    Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Smitty....from the reports I have seen you post in the past couple of months, it seems like Harding has some huge crappie in it. Sounds like a quality crappie population. Do you have any idea how long the drive is from say the Yellowjacket creek area on West Point down to Harding? My family lives in Newnan, and we might make skip a lake next time and go right on down to Harding. Thanks.