Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Relating to side imigaging....pic

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Relating to side imigaging....pic

This is an image from Mars (taken by the Rover). It sure looks a lot like a side scan image of the lake bottom here at Big Sandy. I was fortunate enough to get to work on some of the lunar stuff.

The Moon and Mars surface are very similar to the river/lake bottoms. I could actually take an image of Mars and "taint' it a little and make it look like a sidescan image.

I got to fool around with this stuff back in the 60's-70's. Guess this is why I like sidescan so much. Good memories revived.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-11-2009 at 06:40 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    This is an image from Mars (taken by the Rover). It sure looks a lot like a side scan image of the lake bottom here at Big Sandy. I was fortunate enough to get to work on some of the lunar stuff.

The Moon and Mars surface are very similar to the river/lake bottoms. I could actually take an image of Mars and "taint' it a little and make it look like a sidescan image.

I got to fool around with this stuff back in the 60's-70's. Guess this is why I like sidescan so much. Good memories revived.
    You must have been working with SLAR.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    You must have been working with SLAR.
    Nope. But I sure got to see it work. I worked on the motor speed controls. When the rovers moved, ment I did my job.

SLAR probably laid the foundation of some stuff we take for granted now (MRI, Cat Scan, Ultra sound, Side Imaging).

It is all about sonar and radar. Pick a frequency.

Cat Scan and Side scan very similar, one is sound waves the other radio waves. Technique bout the same. Skinny pictures...
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Think you guys are talking Side Looking Airborne Radar and synthetic apertures . If it is, the rest of you, its radar usually mounted on the under side of an air craft that paints a picture of the whats underneath. Handy for picking out things of high military value on the ground. Its a lot like the side scans only using Radar.
    One of the most recent uses of this was from the shuttle as it was used to map a large part of the earth.
    WarrenMN
    I fish, therefore I am