Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Crappie advice for a rookie!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall Crappie advice for a rookie!!

I just purchased my first rod and reel for crappie fishing only, Wally Marshal 8ft Pro Series w/ a Shimano Shara 1500. I plan on putting 6 lb. Berkley XL on it. I also have 6'6'' med action bass rod with Shimano Shara 2500.

I'm planning on heading out Sunday around 12 with the boat to fish for carppie, water temp 60-65 degrees. Water color clear to 3 ft, lake has lot's of standing timber!

What bait should I use?? Minnows?? Jigs w/ float?? What color jigs?? How deep should I fish??

Lot's of question from a rookie!! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to remember in choosing a color for a jig is what i've heard alot. For bright sunny days choose a bright color and for cloudy darker days use a darker color. Also if you have real clear water use a natural colored bait. Try using jigs and fish close to the stumps. Crappie like holding close to timber or brush this time of year. Also try fishing docks, especially if it is made out of wood and fish close to the timber that supports the dock. This works for me but try your own methods and see what works best for you. Good luck!
    It's not a passion! It's A very bad obsession!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with minnows most of the time.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    Can't go wrong with minnows most of the time.....
    I agree minnows are a good all around bait to start with. Cast around and under docks with a lite bobber in the evening and you should do good. Also like previously posted stumps and trees are good places. This website has many good posts for fishing this time of year. I fish mostly a dock that is close to deep water so I normally do well in the evening. Check out the local bait shop and see what everyone is using for jig colors. It will pay off ten fold if you can afford a guide the first time out fishing to set you in the right dirrection.

Post Thanks / Like

The first advice that comes to my mind is to not get discouraged. When I moved to Arkansas, the local lake had so many stumps it was confusing to figure out which one they would be around. Guess what? I rarely fish around stumps now that I have learned the lake. I learned it by watching the other fishermen that knew the lake and techniques. If I had it to do over, I would have hired a guide.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SMITTY 58D
    I agree minnows are a good all around bait to start with. Cast around and under docks with a lite bobber in the evening and you should do good. Also like previously posted stumps and trees are good places. This website has many good posts for fishing this time of year. I fish mostly a dock that is close to deep water so I normally do well in the evening. Check out the local bait shop and see what everyone is using for jig colors. It will pay off ten fold if you can afford a guide the first time out fishing to set you in the right dirrection.
    I agree. You might want to check out ships rig heres the link
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=49850 just tie on a # 4 hook insted of a jig
    When looking for a dock to fish there are a few things to look for! Search for docks next to under water river chanels, Look for lights on the dock, look for a cleaning station, look for rod holders, look for wires or ropes hanging down into the water ( suspended brush), look docks that have boats with huge motors on them in the slips, look for alge on the bottom of the toons keeping the dock floating.Try to remember where you saw other boats tied up fishing! I have been catching around docks pretty well this fall, the fish have been holding in bout 12 to 15 feet of water here. these are some of the results

If you can put some of the things described together you will do ok

good luck

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a jig guy. I like casting 1/32 or 1/16 marabou & chenille jigs. Solid white or solid chartreuse are my two standard colors. Anything with chartreuse in it is good. Cast out, count them down and reel back slowly.

The most important thing is finding the fish. A good topo map and electronics will help you there. Post this question on your state board to get some tips about the particular lake you're fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the guys above said, ask the folks at the bait shops (not Wal-Mart) and also the locals on the lake may provide alot of info. At least find out what depth the fish are holding and watch sonar as much as you can. A fish finder with transducer on trollin motor is VERY handy. Fish s l o w l y too. I like 1/32to 1/8oz jigs...tubes, twister tails, hair and road runners commonly used by many. White, chartruse, yellow, red or combo of works most of the time.

Spend as much time on water as you can ...and good luck don't hurt none either.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stinkies Daddy for the "shout out"

Here is my post for Crappie Champ.

I apologize because many of you saw this on my "Crappie for the frying pan" thread. I added some color to make it more valuable as an instructional photo for beginners and youth groups who are learning a basic rig setup. Please feel free to use this photo (copy and paste) any way you can.

MORE CRAPPIE FOR THE FRYING PAN is possible if we would take a deep breath and just slow down. I dangled my jig motionless beneath my bobber letting the waves undulate and move the marabou. We had just had a nice cold front here in the Birmingham area and I knew this was the time to strike. It was calm, sunny and chilly for this area. I was using 1/32 and 1/64 jigs that move slow and P.O. the fiiish into attacking it. Result, 28 nice keeper crappie. Smallest was about 11 inches. :D :D :D A crappie will almost hook itself if you are fishing slow. Here is a drawing of my setup. The key is to slow down then slow down some more! Nine times out of ten slowing down will put more food on the table. Take it from "Old ship" and slow it down.:D :D :D :D
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the tips. The lake I fish is about 900 acres with no docks except boat docks, this lake was made for fishing and boating.

I just talked to the bait shop and they are not carring minnows anymore for the year. So it looks like jigs, which I have not used much. I don't have very many jigs right now. I'm going to try chartreuse grub with chart. feathers tails on a 1/16 jig head.....I think it is called a "Fuzzy Grub" If that doesn't work I have a few different colors to try.

Are the crappie in the back of coves? There is a lot of standing timber in the coves. Or should I try main lake trees?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast