Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craft Hair Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Craft Hair Jigs

Haven't posted much here since i joined, but just curoius as to why more guys dont use craft hair when tying crappie jigs. I tie my own, dont have a digi camera so i cant post pics, but either you guys arent using them, or nobody wants to talk about how good they can be. The first ones that i ever saw was at a sports show, and a dealer from Tenn.had some that were in 1/16 oz. and up, that they used for smallmouth. Well that was about 5 years ago, and i have been tying my own ever since, and let me tell you they do work. Punisher jigs has them if you are not sure what i am talking about.
    Was fishing last night, Wed.at a local water supply reservoir, used a chartreuse green hair, with 4 strands of chartreuse krystal flash on each side, 1/32 oz. minnow head,10 ft. deep under a clip on bobber, fishing off the bank, kept 15 crappie 11 & 12 inches long, which is good for around here, and everyone came on the craft hair jig.
    So if you guys haven't tried them you might want to.

Post Thanks / Like

Been meaning to try that. Synthetic materials are used a lot by fly guys since they don't soak up water like many natural materials. Therefore, they're easier to cast on a fly rod.

Like you say, the smallmouth guys use them a lot, too. Their action and appearance in the water should definitely appeal to crappie, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some and tie a little with it. Actually I like one color much better than others and that is the one that starts black and turns white or silver at the tip.

That will catch crappie for sure.

Other than that I don't like it all that much, but that is just me.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bunch that i tied up years ago.They are all bigger sizes for Muskie and Walleye.Where is a good place to purchase the craft fur?
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Mike
    Haven't posted much here since i joined, but just curoius as to why more guys dont use craft hair when tying crappie jigs. I tie my own, dont have a digi camera so i cant post pics, but either you guys arent using them, or nobody wants to talk about how good they can be. The first ones that i ever saw was at a sports show, and a dealer from Tenn.had some that were in 1/16 oz. and up, that they used for smallmouth. Well that was about 5 years ago, and i have been tying my own ever since, and let me tell you they do work. Punisher jigs has them if you are not sure what i am talking about.
    Was fishing last night, Wed.at a local water supply reservoir, used a chartreuse green hair, with 4 strands of chartreuse krystal flash on each side, 1/32 oz. minnow head,10 ft. deep under a clip on bobber, fishing off the bank, kept 15 crappie 11 & 12 inches long, which is good for around here, and everyone came on the craft hair jig.
    So if you guys haven't tried them you might want to.
    Hey Mike, I agree with yea. I sell a bunch of FNF's every year tied from craft hair. I tie about 90% 1/16 and 10% 1/32, when it comes to FnF's. I will admit that I have never actually tied a crappie jig from craft hair but I do know that they catch alot of crappie on my FNF's. I may have to add that to the growing list of crappie jigs...:D JUST WHAT I NEED, ANOTHER IRON IN THE FIRE!!!!!!!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Why would it not work?
    That's not the issue for me.

Look at all of the mediums you could tie with.
    Kip,rabbit,squirrel,buck,maribou,then there's a whole other assortment of
    man made materials you could use.
    Heck I tied one from yarn & it slayed the slabs.

If it were just for me I do use other mediums,but to tie a few thousand in all of those materials gets a bit much.

Post Thanks / Like

My jig tying started out as a hobby and turned into a job. I would say this year that I have tied over a 1000 dz. I like a change of pace every once in a while. I get tired of tying the same color or the same thing from the same materials. Sometime you have to do that because that is what they want,several dozen of the same thing, but man, a change of pace and color sometimes will breath new life into ol' tired hands...lol.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a long haired Doxie that I have been tempted to try. But everytime I go near him with a pair of scissors my wife gets all bent out of shape. As you can guess, its her dog.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    We have a long haired Doxie that I have been tempted to try. But everytime I go near him with a pair of scissors my wife gets all bent out of shape. As you can guess, its her dog.
    Yea, you will be like my little brother and my mom's cat. She had a burr in her hair and he had the SHARP scissors, ONE QUICK JERK of her head and the tip of her ear was laying in the floor and needless to say, IT WAS'NT A PRETTY TIME!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

skiptomylu - have used that black/ gray by it self, and it will getum. Take that same color use white for the body and the black/gray for the back and see what that looks like in the water, might want to add a little krystal flash to the side. Dont be afrade to try that green chartreuse by itself, with some chartreuse krystal flash on the side, good color for stained water.

Grousefly - got any pics of your F-N-F jigs ? most of the the ones i tie for crappie, are either 1/48 or 1/32, and i use a minnow head jig.

Baxter 1 - try Punisher Jigs . com It is a 1.99 very good stuff and they have several colors. Check out the F-N-F jigs while you are there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast