Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: LP cooker tech ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default LP cooker tech ?

got a souped up cajun cooker and a big ole cast iron dutch over back in the summer. im having some issues with the little gate valve i think?
    1.when you turn it open to make flame bigger it has no effect even though i can tell the stem is turning out of the body of the thing. maybe i need to replace it with a good ball valve?

2.when i turn the flame up its like its cutting in and out and the fuel air ratio is not right. i see the little deal on the bottom where the gas line comes in that has the adjustor but no matter which way i move it doesn't get any better till I put a piece of tape over one of the holes?

Post Thanks / Like

check the inside of the tube the valve gate is on and look for mud daubbers nests
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

i was thinking the same thing:D
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkies daddy
    check the inside of the tube the valve gate is on and look for mud daubbers nests

Post Thanks / Like

The new values have a high flow cut off. You have to open the tank value and the burner value very slow are it will shut down and you will not get a full flow. Close the tank value then open it very slowly. Then open the burner value very slowly as you light the burner. This may be the problem, not positive. Good luck.
    1967/68

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get an adjustable regulator and then you'll be able to adjust your flame simply by turning the knob on top of the regulator instead of opening and closing small vlaves too close to the fire for comfort. Sounds to me that your regulator might not be strong enough for big burners. Youre maxing out before you get the desired flame youre wanting.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

well, its a new cooker (cajun cooker i believe)that i bought back in the spring. it doesnt have any dirt dobber nest in it. it has a 10lb regulator on it and a valve on the end of the regulator. when i put my lighter up to the burner and turn the valve it lights and the flame will not get any larger no matter what position the valve is in. but, when i turn the valve open before lighting say about halfway or better then put the lighter down there it will light and is fine. i can adjust it up and down, kinda weird. guess i will just continue to light it at a higher level.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this

• Close the LP tank valve.
    • Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position.
    • Disconnect the regulator from the LP tank.
    • Open the lid of the grill.
    • Turn burner control knobs to HIGH.
    • Wait at least 1 minute.
    • Turn burner control knobs OFF.
    • Wait at least five minutes if the barbecue has been lit.
    • Re-connect the regulator to the LP tank.
    • SLOWLY turn the LP tank valve all the way open.
    • With the lid open, turn the front burner control knob to the HIGH position (for Summit gas grills, turn on the left burner in the selected Heat Zone).
    • Ignite the grill by pushing the crossover ignition button several times.
    • After the front burner is lit, turn the middle burner control knob (if your barbecue has three burners) and then the rear burner control knob to the HIGH position. (For Summit gas grills, turn on the right burner)
    • Close the barbecue lid.
    • The barbecue should reach 500 to 550 degrees in 10 - 15 minutes.

To keep the regulator flow valve from tripping again, when you are done grilling always:
    • Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
    • Turn off the LP tank valve last
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

the unit should have a adjustable regulator on it, if its a high pressure cooker. you control the flame height with the regulator. ive never seen a high pressure cooker with an adjustable flame control on the cooker.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

think i finally figgered out my problem. took the valve apart and it had packing grease in there around the o-ring and the needle dealio. wiped it off and it started working correctly. next time cooking it started doing it again so i need to pull it apart again. anyways heads up if you ever have this trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Default mud daubbers

watch out for mud bugs, they will sure enough screw up your air flow. I use a coat hanger straightened out to scrape clean and then blow out with air or even pressured water. Easy to take apart and put together.

Is that rig with Shiloh on the last post from BPS. I saw a nice one like that in Nashville a few months ago.
    rushcreek