PDA

View Full Version : Cool Weather = Crappie Chowder Time!

Jerry Blake
11-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I've probably posted this recipe in the past but here it is again for the newbies. It's quick and easy, a little break from good ole fried crappie (made that this evening) and a dandy warm-up during the cooler months.

Crappie Chowder

Cook about 4-cups crappie fillets in about 8-cups of water seasoned with 1 – 2-Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning or Crawfish/Crab/Shrimp boil at just below a simmer for about 15-minutes, drain, let cool a few minutes and chop/flake into small pieces.

While fillets are cooking, sauté about 4-cups cubed style frozen hash brown potatoes, 1-cup finely chopped onion, 1-cup finely chopped celery in ¼-cup butter or olive oil in a large skillet or heavy sauce pan just until potatoes are tender but not mushy.

Add 1-can Cream of Mushroom Soup, 1-can Cream of Celery Soup and 2 to 3-cups milk depending on how thick you want your chowder. Bring to a slow simmer, stir in fish and simmer about 10-minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Serve with Ritz or Oyster Crackers.

Enjoy!

slab_slayer1
11-07-2007, 09:27 PM
sounds good Jerry, thanks. Will have to try, i dont like oysters stew or anything. So will try.

crappielimits
11-07-2007, 09:34 PM
We eat a similiar recipe at the campground. I don`t like fish but the chowder is great. We use rib cages from filets to make it though. Also fry Crappie roe as appetizer.

Jerry Blake
11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
sounds good Jerry, thanks. Will have to try, i dont like oysters. But this sounds really good.

There's no oysters in it.:) "Oyster Crackers" are those little hexagon shaped crackers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_cracker_(food) - you put on soups and such.

slab_slayer1
11-07-2007, 09:36 PM
There's no oysters in it.:) "Oyster" Crackers are those little hexagon shaped crackers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_cracker_(food) - you put on soups and such.
I meant to say oyster stew or clam chowder.:D

ad1974
11-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds good,I think I'm going to try this one.

Fishinman91
11-08-2007, 03:34 PM
This sounds great, I cant wait to try it.

thanks.

jigsbydirk
11-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Made this today for lunch with this mornings catch. IT IS GREAT!!!

Jerry Blake
11-23-2007, 08:56 PM
I had a big steaming hot bowl when I came in from a cold, windy day on the lake today and it warmed me right up! :)

I've been using regular Russet potatoes lately instead of prepared hashbrowns and it only adds a few minutes to the preparation time. If you cube them up real small - about 1/4-inch cubes - they don't take long to cook. I start sautéing them first in the butter while I cut up the onion and celery and they all get done about the same time - about the time the fish is ready.

horseshoer
11-23-2007, 09:06 PM
We eat a similiar recipe at the campground. I don`t like fish but the chowder is great. We use rib cages from filets to make it though. Also fry Crappie roe as appetizer.
Thats what I do CL, I put a load of ribs in the crockpot at night and let em go on low overnight, run it thru a screened sieve and use the liquid for stock,
remove any bone matter, and add rest.

Thats a timely post Jerry!!

jigsbydirk
11-24-2007, 05:35 PM
I've been using regular Russet potatoes lately instead of prepared hashbrowns and it only adds a few minutes to the preparation time. If you cube them up real small - about 1/4-inch cubes - they don't take long to cook. I start sautéing them first in the butter while I cut up the onion and celery and they all get done about the same time - about the time the fish is ready.

That is how I did it Jerry and it worked great!!!!!!!!

plantdr
12-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Jerry Tried the Chowder today, it is wonderful! Thanks for sharing this ,and for all your educational posts as well.

Super Dave
12-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Hey Jerry, thanks for posting. Just made the chowder using rainbow trout fillets (too small for frying.) OMG it is great. Serving a group of out-of-town guest, including the daughter and her fiancee, who are visiting for the holidays. Lunch will be served in a few more minutes now. They love home cooking and they know I don't cook. Bet my reputation improves today:! :D