Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Weather = Crappie Chowder Time!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Weather = Crappie Chowder Time!

I've probably posted this recipe in the past but here it is again for the newbies. It's quick and easy, a little break from good ole fried crappie (made that this evening) and a dandy warm-up during the cooler months.

Crappie Chowder

Cook about 4-cups crappie fillets in about 8-cups of water seasoned with 1 – 2-Tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning or Crawfish/Crab/Shrimp boil at just below a simmer for about 15-minutes, drain, let cool a few minutes and chop/flake into small pieces.

While fillets are cooking, sauté about 4-cups cubed style frozen hash brown potatoes, 1-cup finely chopped onion, 1-cup finely chopped celery in ¼-cup butter or olive oil in a large skillet or heavy sauce pan just until potatoes are tender but not mushy.

Add 1-can Cream of Mushroom Soup, 1-can Cream of Celery Soup and 2 to 3-cups milk depending on how thick you want your chowder. Bring to a slow simmer, stir in fish and simmer about 10-minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Serve with Ritz or Oyster Crackers.

Enjoy!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good Jerry, thanks. Will have to try, i dont like oysters stew or anything. So will try.
    Last edited by slab_slayer1; 11-07-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We eat a similiar recipe at the campground. I don`t like fish but the chowder is great. We use rib cages from filets to make it though. Also fry Crappie roe as appetizer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slab_slayer1
    sounds good Jerry, thanks. Will have to try, i dont like oysters. But this sounds really good.
    There's no oysters in it. "Oyster Crackers" are those little hexagon shaped crackers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_cracker_(food) - you put on soups and such.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    There's no oysters in it. "Oyster" Crackers are those little hexagon shaped crackers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_cracker_(food) - you put on soups and such.
    I meant to say oyster stew or clam chowder.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good,I think I'm going to try this one.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds great, I cant wait to try it.

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Made this today for lunch with this mornings catch. IT IS GREAT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a big steaming hot bowl when I came in from a cold, windy day on the lake today and it warmed me right up!

I've been using regular Russet potatoes lately instead of prepared hashbrowns and it only adds a few minutes to the preparation time. If you cube them up real small - about 1/4-inch cubes - they don't take long to cook. I start sautéing them first in the butter while I cut up the onion and celery and they all get done about the same time - about the time the fish is ready.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    We eat a similiar recipe at the campground. I don`t like fish but the chowder is great. We use rib cages from filets to make it though. Also fry Crappie roe as appetizer.
    Thats what I do CL, I put a load of ribs in the crockpot at night and let em go on low overnight, run it thru a screened sieve and use the liquid for stock,
    remove any bone matter, and add rest.

Thats a timely post Jerry!!
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast