Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Blackshear Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday Blackshear Report

Today was pretty much a bust. Only caught 7. They are pretty good size though. One is 15 inches and fat. I started out at the state park bridge at 7 in the morning. Spent two hours there and tried the trees too. Nothing doing under the bridge. Didn't even spot any fish on the fish finder. Kinda weird. And I knew the water was too cold for the trees, and sure enough they aren't there either. Went to Smoake bridge for the rest of the day. About 10 am on. Caught the seven very deep. On the bottom. Marked lots and lots of fish all over the pilings. They are very lethargic though. Wouldn't even fight when I pulled them in. Thought each and every one of them was a tiny little crappie until I got them to the surface. It was very windy out. I think that was the biggest reason I didn't catch much. Every two seconds I was bobbing up and down a foot, sometimes two. So I can only imagine how fast my shiners and jigs were bouncing around down there. Add that to the fact that they were barely tapping the bait. The water has really cooled off this past week. Those several nights in the 30's brought it way down. I didn't get a temp, but my hand was a little numb after dipping it in the minnow bucket for about 20 minutes. On the bright side...I stopped by the Little river on the way home to catch some more shiners. Threw a couple of cans of dog food in the area, waited 20 minutes, and 50 minutes later I got about 150 to 200 shiners!!!! I will have a full fish tank. Can't wait till they get on the trees, I will have plenty of bait for them. Baiting shiners does the trick. Those dumb minners will stay right on the dog food while you catch them cast after cast. Oh and one last thing. I had wild shiners 2 to 3 inches, and bait shop minnows...smaller. The shiners outfished the minnows 7 to 0. Had the same amount out the whole time. And its been like that the past two trips also. I'm sold. So if anyone is fishing Blackshear tomorrow.....Smoake bridge is stacked with fish. And they might be biting tomorrow. The wind won't be as bad supposedly. Its an option for you. Good luck!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hi crapster i woke up still dizzie and didnyt go . am still dizzie probabley stay around the house tomorrow and go another weekin .

thanks for the report. maby the weather will git better and stable . i think that is what we need is a few dayea of stable weather . good luck next time . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the report the wind was howling today for sure. not sure if i'll make it sunday or not work got in the way of fixing the boat I still need an hour or so to tidy up.

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna try blackshear yesterday but the boat messed up on me and wouldnt crank. I got it fixed last night, or so I thought and took it to sinclair today,and again it cranked up when I put in this mornin then it wouldnt crank again. I had a buddy down at blackshear yesterday he said he only caught 5, and he fished around the 280 bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappster, decided to give it a try over at Smoak Bridge Monday afternoon. Wind was a little rough, but not too bad. Fish were still holding in deep water under the bridge but couldn't get them to bite on anything. A couple other boats joined me there and didn't get any bites either. After 2 hours, we decided to pack it in. Only bite-- one small striper that my wife caught. So, not only did I not catch any fish, I now have to listen to my wife remind me how she outfished me. Talk about a plan going sour.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

dont worry your day will come

Post Thanks / Like

I tell you what skillet....I have fished Smoake 5 different times now and the max I've caught is 7. There has always been a bunch of good schools, but they never seem to be actively feeding. The biggest "frenzy" they have given me was four fish in a row. lol. But all those crappie under there keep me coming back. If I catch em on a day when they are hitting, I'll be in business.

Post Thanks / Like

my wife and i wer fishing under smoke bridge a few years agoand 2 others boats no one wer catching anything and we started drifting with rods and had some poles out . every time we trolled under the bridge we had 3 to 4 fish in the boat . the bridge is to low for poles so we had to hand line them in . the reels did not produce . guess they wer to close to the boat or wasent at the rightdepth . some times drifting will produce better than still fishing . never figured that one out . papasage

Post Thanks / Like

Its funny you mention that papasage. Right after I posted my last message...the one above your post, I started thinking about drifting it. That would be the only thing I haven't tried yet. It makes sense. I bet those crappie are stacked under there like that waiting for shad to go through there. A drifting presentation may be what they are used to. I'll do it this weekend. I'm going up to Blackshear Saturday and Sunday. I think I'm going to start with Smoake. And then the back of Swift creek around the trees in the afternoon. And hopefully by the end of Saturday I will have figured out where the fish are biting and will focus on that on Sunday. Gotta have a plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappster, that sounds like a plan. I'm planning on going back up that way this weekend as well (probably Sunday). I haven't decided yet if I want to go back around the train tressel or try some more over at Smoak Bridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast