PDA

View Full Version : Tips On Fall Fishing

BigD
11-04-2007, 08:49 AM
I was hoping some of you would be gracious and give some basic tips on fall fishing. My Dad and I caught 685 keepers in the spring but I have never tried fall crappie fishing.

I went out the other day and only caught one fish. It just now getting cold by lake Erie.

I am a shore fisherman so I hope we can get some fish before they go deep...lol

Thanks in advance :)

D

shipahoy41
11-04-2007, 08:56 AM
GO BROWNS!!!

Now back to fishing,

In the fall I like to do the following from shore:

1) Fish slower

2) Switch to marabou rather than plastic which becomes harder in the cold

3) Always use Chartreuse in your presentation

4) Use the bait you have the most confidence in

5) Get to the water. You don't catch anything wishing you were there.

6) Dress warmly and carry hot chocolate.

7) Fish during the harvest moon season

8) Go to the Sandusky area of Lake Eria

9) Did I say fish slower...well slow it down some more

10) Be thankful you are fishing instead of working.

sentrysam
11-04-2007, 09:58 AM
did you mention fish slower,,boy ,thats hard to do in 40 mph winds,,drift sox dont even work well in winds like that..wish I could catch one...!,,,,ss

BigD
11-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks Old Ship,

Do you find the Crappie in the shallows around rock piles/weedbeds like you do in the spring?

Do they feed in a frenzy like state or is it one here one there because they are sluggish?

I am a jig fisherman but would a bobber with a minnow work better because that is the slowest fishing I can do?

D

shipahoy41
11-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I am a bobber and jig fisherman because I can control the depth of the offering as well as keep the jig in the strike zone longer at the depth I want. It just sits there pulsating and undulating until the fish can't resist it anymore.

If you are lucky enough to still find some vegetation near wood...by all means fish it. If you have a good pair of binoculars use them too. See where others are fishing and keep a log. That way you will find brushpiles or crappie condos that you never found before. Keep a record for each body of water that you fish.

As it gets colder, them thar crappies will move deeper. I promise you that. I'd look for the west side of a cove that is still warm from the afternoon sun, calm water, minnows and wood in the water and drop my own minnow or marabou jig there for starters right before dusk.

BigD
11-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks again Old Ship,

We will try..........

D

TapOut64
11-04-2007, 06:54 PM
1) Fish slower

This has worked well for me in winter as well. I've seen other crappie fishemen on the lake reeling in real slow, and I mean real slow. It pains me to do it but the slower I reeled in the more bites I got.