Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: WM Pro Series Rods For Spider Rigg'n?

Post Thanks / Like

Question WM Pro Series Rods For Spider Rigg'n?

I have a few rods that I use for spider rigg'n that I am thinking about replacing. Do any of you use the Wally Marshall Pro Series 12' rods for spider rigg'n? If so; how do you like them? Are the too lite/whippy for spider rigg'n? I see that they are light med. action. All input will be appreciated! :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

These rods would probably be good rods for spider riggin. The tightline specials are better if you use heavy weight. The only drawback probably would be the cork handle, I like foam handles in rod holders.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wally 16

We have the Wally Marshall 16 footers and they are great. They are light enough to rip their eyeballs out but tough enough to haul in a 2 pounder over the side.

rushcreekoutdoor

Post Thanks / Like

Wiskers,
    Just realize that you cannot get replacement ends for the WM rods. If you happen to break a tip you have to buy a new rod. BPS will not replace it after one year. No tips available period. You will be a lot better off with B&M's Richard Williams series. Tips are available for $10-$15. The 10 and 12 ft. are available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiehunter
    Wiskers,
    Just realize that you cannot get replacement ends for the WM rods. If you happen to break a tip you have to buy a new rod. BPS will not replace it after one year. No tips available period. You will be a lot better off with B&M's Richard Williams series. Tips are available for $10-$15. The 10 and 12 ft. are available.
    Crappie hunter, if you haven`t tryed them then you don`t know so I will tell you! The Wally Marshall series doesn`t need tips because the are made of strong graphite and only will break if miss used and if you break one in the first year they replace the entire rod, try that at BnM! I have the first Wally Marshall I bought when they come out. Out of the 18 I have owned I still fish 16, I lost one and broke one on boat stall while hanging out of the boat. I had several BnMs and they would break while lining them, while lifting fish or many other ways. They don`t have enough guides so they bend freely which causes breakage.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both of them and have broken both of them. Both of them have been broken through abuse/accident/normal wear and tear. Eventually you will need a tip for both rods whether it is from abuse or defect. It is cheaper to buy a tip from B&M for $15 than to get a brand new WM rod from B&M for $35. If the WM is over a year old you just have to buy a new one. There are no tips available. CUSA and crappiemasters are full of B&M. I don't see too many WM. You fish your WM's and I'll stick with the B&M's. I'll buy the tips if and when they break and you buy the whole pole when the tip breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    Crappie hunter, if you haven`t tryed them then you don`t know so I will tell you! The Wally Marshall series doesn`t need tips because the are made of strong graphite and only will break if miss used and if you break one in the first year they replace the entire rod, try that at BnM! I have the first Wally Marshall I bought when they come out. Out of the 18 I have owned I still fish 16, I lost one and broke one on boat stall while hanging out of the boat. I had several BnMs and they would break while lining them, while lifting fish or many other ways. They don`t have enough guides so they bend freely which causes breakage.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two WM trolling rods I got a few years ago. I like the rods as they have a good backbone to air dry 2 pound fish in the boat. I don't use a net most of the time. I also fish B&M trolling rods and have no complaints. If you find you need a replacement tip for the WM 14' trolling poles the B&M Ultra Light jig pole tip sections will fit.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

Cool They all have there place!

I personally use the BnM PST 16 footers most of the time. I also use the WMT for heaver weights and crankbaits . The Pro Series WM has good backbone and is fast at the tip if you like to us 12 footers it would be an excellent rod. As far as tips go Grizzly Jig Co. has made tips for all your WM and BnM rods and they cost about the same!:rolleyes:
    Mr. Plucker

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

After using b&m rods and jig poles for over 10 years and being frustrated after breaking so many and the inside coming out of the tip eye, i decided to try other types to see what i liked most and was more durable. I have outlaw rods, crappie wizard rods, and wally marshall rods. I also have st croix ultralites and b&m dockshooters for casting jigs. We have a 2 pole limit in PA, so i have to really choose wisely. Altho i will rotate using diffrent poles during the day, my choices seem to be consistent. I start with my 9' WM to fish a jig or spoon tightline and the 5'6" st croix jigpole to cast jigs. If i snag and have to breakoff the tightline, the rod i pick up is the 10' crappie wizard that i have rigged and ready to go. When i change jigpoles, it's the b&m 5'6" dockshooter rod. I also have a 10' outlaw and a 7' WM that see some action. I had 3 10' BGJP's and 2 8' BGJP's that i sold or gave away to family. I'm using the money from them to get 2 of the WM that are on sale. 1 7' and 1 9'. Not knocking the b&m's but the WM's just have more backbone to hoist those slabs in without grabbing a net for every fish. Those b&m's served me well but there's a rod for the type of fishing i do, that is quite a bit better.