Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting eyes on jigs?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Putting eyes on jigs?

What is the secret to getting half way decent looking eyes on jigs? I've tried nail polish and the head of different size nails but they just don't come out right. I think the nail polish dries too quick.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    What is the secret to getting half way decent looking eyes on jigs? I've tried nail polish and the head of different size nails but they just don't come out right. I think the nail polish dries too quick.
    Here is what I do...

First I painting the head and then I use a small set of cheap drill bits that have a flat end on the other end of the business end. I use one about 2 time larger than the other. I paint the first color on and later the black pupil. I use Acrylic paint for this. After it all dries I use Sally Henson's Hard As Nails Top Coat clear to coat the entire head.

Hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    Here is what I do...

First I painting the head and then I use a small set of cheap drill bits that have a flat end on the other end of the business end. I use one about 2 time larger than the other. I paint the first color on and later the black pupil. I use Acrylic paint for this. After it all dries I use Sally Henson's Hard As Nails Top Coat clear to coat the entire head.

Hope this helps,

Skip

I assume this is after baking? Where do you get your acrylic paint?

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I assume this is after baking? Where do you get your acrylic paint?
    Yes after baking the head.

I buy it at Walmart and I like the Apple Barrel Gloss best, but if I need a color they don't have in that I get the Apple Barrel that is not Gloss. All of it is made by PLAID.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    Yes after baking the head.

I buy it at Walmart and I like the Apple Barrel Gloss best, but if I need a color they don't have in that I get the Apple Barrel that is not Gloss. All of it is made by PLAID.
    Thanks Skip, I'll give it a try.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You might try putting the paint on a craft stick very thin. Just touch the paint on the stick with your nail, toothpick etc. This helps not to get too much paint on whatever you are using for putting on the eyes. With a little practice you will be fine. The acrylic paint is great because it is water base and can easily be wiped off if you make a mistake. Good luck, Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Skip, I've seen these instructions in several posts and I have to say the drill bit works great! After a little practice on getting the right amount of paint to control the size of the eye, every eye is perfectly round and right where I want it. And best of all, it's easy.

A question. I noticed that the Hard as Nails seems to cause a little bleeding in a white jig head; only noticed because when I came across the eye, I sometimes get a little milkiness. Have you experienced this and do you have a solution? Also, I assume you've tried it without the Hard as Nails on the eyes; did you have trouble with them chipping off or fading? Just curious; I'd use the HAN on the thread anyway, but I wondered what the eye durability is without it. If it lasts days or 20 fish or whatever, that would be fine; I fish so much wood by pitching (and I don't rig weedless), that I go through 10-15 jigs a day anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Here is what I do...

Hope this helps,

Skip

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I have not tried to see how it holds up with out, but I can't imagine it lasting long since the powder paint even oven cured the crappie will eat off.

As for the white bleeding, I guess I have not done many white, but the FL Yellow is my pain in the arse. It is the only color the colors the brush of Sally's and I have to wipe it off each time or it will eventually color the nail polish more than wanted.

Not sure you can do much about the white and FL Yellow jig heads and they will just need to be done carefully.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

OK. As I said, I can't seem to keep a jig longer than an hour or two before I break off and so have never seen cured powder paint deterioriate from too many fish. 'Course, if I'm pitching to rocks, banging off docks, etc., I've chipped them. Believe I'll try a few without Sally and see how long the eyes last. I'll still use it on the thread, as it can definitely unravel, especially if I finish with floss, which can really fray.

Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're using the acrylic paint that's water based...they won't last too long. They may last for a little but once they get wet it'll start to get soft and will come off easily.
    The trick to get it not to bleed is to coat it fast and don't go over the same spot twice. You don't need a thick coat all over it, just get plenty on the brush then wipe it around and let dry.
    Also cured heads will tend to bleed less than uncured heads. To make sure you're getting them completely cured and doing so at the right temperature and length of time, check out Skips thread at the top of this forum about how long to bake them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast