HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: For Someone New To Tying

Post Thanks / Like

Default For Someone New To Tying

Not a end all for sure, but I get ask a good bit what you need and here is my thoughts on this...

I am guessing you don't have anything in the way of tools yet huh? Well it's hard to tell if someone will stick with it or not, but if they are it is better to get a good vise, not the best or most costly, but a good one and I really like a true rotary vise for a lot of reasons like being able to turn the jig to see it from all sides plus lot of other things. If you go that way the cheapest rotary I know of it a Danvise and it will cost you some where between $70-$80 with out a tying station and close to $130-$140 with tying station and some tools.

Many people start out with a kit like from Cabela's or BPS which has a cheap fixed vise and some tools and some tying materials which can tie a lot of jigs, but I think it's better to not get the kit and buy the materials you want to really use. You can get a fixed vise for about $20 if you should want to go that way, but if you really think you will stick with tying then I would not do that.

Tools you will need to do it right....
    Vise!
    A Whip Finish tool ( know the one that comes with kits is not the one you will need) You will need a Matarelli style whip finisher. Also you will need the following:
    Several bobbins for holding the thread, don't buy really cheap ones as they will just make you crazy and also don't buy the most expensive as it's not needed.
    Good Pair of scissors,(I think one kind of large ones and one that has a very pointed tip).
    Bobbin threader (can use the dental floss threader for that),
    Bodkin (big needle with a handle,
    Jig heads,
    Chenille (not Walmart brand junk)size #2 and the Nylon is better than the Rayon, but some colors only come in Rayon.
    Thread (don't get sewing thread, get flat waxed tying thread),
    Feathers (strung neck hackle & marabou blood quills if you want),
    May want some flash, I recommend Krystal Flash in colors and some silver and gold tinsel flash (can use Christmas tree tinsel)or maybe even some Holo Gold & Silver.

This is a good site to see tying instructions for flies and get the proper way of doing stuff and has beginner, intermediate and advanced parts.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Here is maybe a better site for tying flies so you can see their Fly Pattern Data Base of picture with some having detailed instructions.
    http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?

There are videos on line you can see for most any of the type of techniques for tying different parts.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments and sorry to be so long winded,

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 01-10-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Changed some links

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes red ranger, Dexterpreacher LIKED above post
    Thanks leomort thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey skip, thanks for all of the info. I am one of those who are planning on getting started with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstlovtofish
    Hey skip, thanks for all of the info. I am one of those who are planning on getting started with this.
    If you have any questions just PM me and I will see what I can do to help.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a good post Skip. I would also look at some of the fly tying videos in the archives to get some ideas. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=41861

Here are a few:

How to start the thread and do half hitch knot
    http://copperfly.net/video/start_thread.wmv

How to tie a fly on a jighead
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AplyBi5AY

Three ways to whip finish a fly
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/jbwhip/

**Simple Crappie Jig (10 minutes)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=YxvPgFZrCrU

MARABOU STREAMER
    http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/...arabou-kit.htm

There are many more in the archives.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=41861

Item

Rotary Vise
    Ceramic Bobbin
    Bobbin Threader
    3 ½ inch Straight Scissors
    Bodkin – to apply head cement
    1/32 ounce Jig Heads
    1/64 ounce jig heads
    1/16th ounce jig heads
    Chartreuse Chenille size #2
    Flat Waxed Nylon Red Thread
    Marabou - Chartreuse and other colors
    Neck Hackle
    Chartreuse Krystal Flash
    Head Cement
    Kip Tails
    Long Nymph #6 hooks (For Wooly Buggers)

TOTAL INDIVIDUAL STARTUP COST: up to you!

Start with one or two proven designs that will catch Crappie and Bream and then branch out and experiment from there.

All crappies will hit a 1/32 or 1/64 ounce jig or a #4 or #6 hook. (Minnow or Wolly Worm) Master the basic marabou / feather jig and it will always get you bit. Add the wooly bugger or wolly worm styles and your hobby will take off and be real enjoyable for you.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 07-16-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good list! Wish I had that kind of help when I started tying.

LMAO about the bobbin...you're so right about them. I had the cheap bobbins when I first started out...they drove me nuts!
    Your not fishing, unless your crappie fishing!
    Likes fishin813 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sacawhat
    That's a good list! Wish I had that kind of help when I started tying.

LMAO about the bobbin...you're so right about them. I had the cheap bobbins when I first started out...they drove me nuts!
    A lot of people will recommend to a new guy that they can get their materials from Walmart and that is just not right! You can get some there if you know what good materials look like and can choose from them then, but to start you need good materials and good tools, IMHO!

A crappy bobbin can make you quit tying, LOL! I have some that work great, but I have a few that I can even use except for lead wire and yarn. It's not worth saving a few beans on your tools! If you can afford to by a bobbin with ceramic tube you are way better off.

I have about 25 bobbins and am looking at replacing probably about 10 of them

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Likes fishin813, Dexterpreacher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You know it is funny I hear a lot of people talk about how they hate cheap bobbins and all the problems they have with them. All I have and use are "cheap" bobbins under $5 a piece and I have never had much trouble with them over the past 6 years of tying jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    You know it is funny I hear a lot of people talk about how they hate cheap bobbins and all the problems they have with them. All I have and use are "cheap" bobbins under $5 a piece and I have never had much trouble with them over the past 6 years of tying jigs.
    Then you are very lucky, but a $5 bobbin is usually getting to a good enough one. The $2 & $3 ones though I have had more bad than good. There is nothing like the good ceramic ones though. Also if you work with smaller thread say 6/0 and smaller it can be trouble. I have had lots of them cut my thread under the tube and that is enough to make me crazy.

Not saying you need a $12 or $15 bobbin, but don't like the real cheap ones as they just cut your thread at both ends.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Likes Dexterpreacher LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    I guess I have been "Lucky" too. I also buy a good quality thread which helps a lot.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Tying jigs with larger thread doesnt really matter what kinda bobbins you have. It is when you get into tying smaller trout flies with 8/0, 10/0 and 12/0 thread a good bobbins makes a whole lot of difference. As far as advice goes I would buy a decent vice...i.e.......Renzetti, Dyna King....something along those lines. They will last years, I bet I have tied 5000-6000 flies on my Dyna King over the last 5 or 6 years.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast