Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Killin' Me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Killin' Me

These darn gars. I FINALLY found some spots where I can catch a few from off the bank. I fish after work 3 out of 5 days to calm my stressed nerves & depression. These foot soldier spots are extremely convenient. The spots I've locked, work with jig and float or minner and float. I haven't had any success w/ anything other than a really quiet super slow presentation. They're rather shallow areas of about 8-10 ft with plenty of brush that seem productive. Problem is that the alligator gars keep coming along and fiddling w/ my floats or outright swallowing them, which usually ends in a catastrophe of weak line proportions.
    I was having trouble w/ line breaks b/c of snags. I left Power Pro alone b/c it was too expensive, but now I'm back! (I love this line, when you can hoss 15 lb. redear slider turtles up a 3 ft. bank w/o a second thought, it's gotta be right!) But i'm no match for the gar teeth. I spend more time retying than anything. I even lost a plump sacaslab during retrieve to a hungry gar.
    WHAT CAN i DO! I could easily triple my catch ratio w/o these pesky fish eating away my daylight.

Any advice would be appreciated,
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like

I Feel Your Pain. I've All But Lost My Favorite River To The Dang Things. Their Not Scared Of Anything And Will Hit Everything. The Boys That Live On The River Kill Everyone Of Them They Catch. Doesn't Seem To Help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micropterus salmoides
    These darn gars. I FINALLY found some spots where I can catch a few from off the bank. I fish after work 3 out of 5 days to calm my stressed nerves & depression. These foot soldier spots are extremely convenient. The spots I've locked, work with jig and float or minner and float. I haven't had any success w/ anything other than a really quiet super slow presentation. They're rather shallow areas of about 8-10 ft with plenty of brush that seem productive. Problem is that the alligator gars keep coming along and fiddling w/ my floats or outright swallowing them, which usually ends in a catastrophe of weak line proportions.
    I was having trouble w/ line breaks b/c of snags. I left Power Pro alone b/c it was too expensive, but now I'm back! (I love this line, when you can hoss 15 lb. redear slider turtles up a 3 ft. bank w/o a second thought, it's gotta be right!) But i'm no match for the gar teeth. I spend more time retying than anything. I even lost a plump sacaslab during retrieve to a hungry gar.
    WHAT CAN i DO! I could easily triple my catch ratio w/o these pesky fish eating away my daylight.

Any advice would be appreciated,
    Adam

Shotgun! . . . . .:D

Post Thanks / Like

start gar fishing! wipe them out....catching gars are a blast with the right gear...
    I support catch and eat! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Can you Bow fish where you are????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kajun
    start gar fishing! wipe them out....catching gars are a blast with the right gear...
    You want to wipe out the closest thing in freshwater to a tarpon?

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that gar can be caught with any number our lures that have been adapted to tangle their teeth up. Once you've caught one and unhooked him I've heard that if you put a stick in his mouth that holds it open and release him, that all the other gars in the area will take off. I don't know if it's an old wive's tale or not, but I've been told it works.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a .22 rifle and yes wipe them out! Did you know gar eggs carry the most toxic animal venom to humans.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it may have been a gar I had hooked in a local river. I saw the fish jump out of the water it look every bit of a 4ft or 4 1/2 foot fish last weekend.