Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Home made Bouy's?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Home made Bouy's?

I have had some store bought bouys dissapear, must be easy to make alot of bouys. Looking for ideas, wondering if anyone has made some bouys before I get going on mass production.
    God Bless America
    In God We Trust

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Darryl Morris
    Crappie Grand Master Join Date: Apr 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry Blake taught me to the same thing Crappiefarmer just explained. We use about 6-8" piece of swim noodle; push a 60p nail (small spike bought at Lowes for about .25) down one side of the noodle for a counter balance (stops the unrolling when sinker hits bottom); tie 30-40' of small cord to the center (trimming the groove we don't do because after a small amount of use and rewinding the center depresses into a dumbell shape anyway); with a 2oz. bottom sinker tied to the end. If you need one for rough water, use two nails on the same side and a 4oz. sinker.

These work well.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Copy of previous post:

Here’s a simple and inexpensive way to make a set of buoy markers for marking brush piles or other structure you are going to fish around.

Get a “Swim Noodle” (the swimming floats that are about 4-feet long and 2 ½-inches in diameter). They’re about $2 at Wal-Mart but you can find them in the summer along the shores of any lake frequented by Lake Lice or even on the side of the road going to the lake. They come in a variety of colors but any color will do.

Cut the noodle into pieces about 7-inches long – one for each float you want to make. Tie about 30-feet (or more if you fish in deeper water than that) of braided nylon twine (much better than twisted twine) around the center of each piece and tie a 2-ounce sinker (about 25-cents each) to the free end. Then insert a 60-penny galvanized spike in one side of each float to stop it from unrolling after the weight hits the bottom. Wrap the line around the center of the float. To keep the lines from coming loose and getting tangle when not in use, make a cut about ½” deep on one end and slip the line just above the sinker into this slot. Just be sure and pull the line out of the slot before deployment.

Now you have a set of markers that will last for years, can be deployed almost silently, won’t make a racket when they bang against the side of your boat and are inexpensive to replace if you forget where you left one or sink one with a brush pile (I’ve done both). When the foam starts wearing out after years of service just keep your eye out for a new swim noodle. The nail, twine and weight can be transferred to a new float in jiffy.

I keep mine under a bungee cord on the deck of my boat for quick and easy access.

PS If you fish in a lot of wind and waves you can make a "Heavy Duty" buoy marker by using a 4-ounce bank sinker for the line weight and two 60-penny nails - inserted side-by-side from opposite ends.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used noodles as described above (mine has rod stock running all the way through them on one side of the noodle) but on really windy days the marker just blows off course unwinding the line even though the weight remains on the same spot on the bottom of the lake. A friend cut him out a couple using a 1 x 4 board notching the center out with a jigsaw. He then painted them flourescent orange. His seems to hold better on windy days although they sit flatter on the water making them a bit harder to see unless you're right on top of 'em.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    ...they sit flatter on the water making them a bit harder to see unless you're right on top of 'em.
    That may not be all bad. I've seen guys come and pick them up while I was still there fishing. I've also seen boats come running from across the lake when ya' throw one out. Almost like ringin' the dinner bell.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default weight

Be sure to use a heavy FLAT weight, so the wind doesn't drag your bouy weight across the bottom. Another idea is to use a standard large round bobber, instead of a orange marker (depending how far away you are). People just think your fishing and not paylake you.
    Last edited by Nightprowler; 11-01-2007 at 04:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have made some about 1/3 of the size of the ones pictured and color them black with a permanent marker for use on my brushpiles. Looks like a piece of trash floating in the water. Use 20 pound test for line and a 2 ounce sinker. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I use decoy weights on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys are awsome, thanx for your help
    I have some ideas about them condos and will try to make and post pic and see what you all think. (combining some of the ones already posted)
    God Bless America
    In God We Trust