PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing your boat

ad1974
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
I was reading the post bellow about when to store your boat for the winter and was wondering what some of you do to winterize your boat.I know I will be Stabiling and putting on a double cover when the weather gets to ugly.

prchjerker
10-30-2007, 03:07 PM
For a standard outboard, heres what we do.First add gas stabilizer to the fuel system,then start the motor on a hose and flushette,once youve ran the engine to get the stabilized fuel ran through the fuel system, we use a fogging oil (on a regular 2 stroke) sprayed in through the cards to coat the crank and pistons with a nice coat of oil.The last thing you want to do is change your gear lube and run some pink RV antifreeze through you livewell pumps and hoses to make sure there no water in a low spot to freeze and bust when sitting all winter.For a four stroke its similar, only you have to change the oil and oil filter as well.Most four strokes are fuel injected so you cant fog in through the carb, but pull the plugs and spray some storage seal into the cylinder and crank the engine over a couple times with the kill cord pulled.The guys down south really dont know how good they have it when they can boat almost all winter long.Good luckPJ.

Hoosierdaddy
10-30-2007, 03:12 PM
This is what I do for my outboard set-up:
Add stabilizer to gas or run it out of gas
Fog the cylinders
Put in new spark plugs
Grease all fittings and cables
Drain and refill lower unit
Make sure the bilge pump, livewell pump and water lines are empty
Store the batteries in a warm place
Vacuum the carpet and wash the outside
Check and grease the trailer bearings
Put her in the garage and wait

FishnLine
10-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm glad I don't have to winterize mine. I run it all year long.

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
10-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Yep, here in Ky. we simply put some coveralls in the boat and keep on keeping on. The only time I am tempted to put mine up is when the dang ski doo's are all over the place.

THE BANDIT

mantooth
10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
move to Okeechobee like I did!!:D :D :D

catch fillet
10-30-2007, 05:04 PM
If it ever gets that cold and stays cold long enough Im packing my bags.

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
10-31-2007, 09:47 PM
For a standard outboard, heres what we do.First add gas stabilizer to the fuel system,then start the motor on a hose and flushette,once youve ran the engine to get the stabilized fuel ran through the fuel system, we use a fogging oil (on a regular 2 stroke) sprayed in through the cards to coat the crank and pistons with a nice coat of oil.The last thing you want to do is change your gear lube and run some pink RV antifreeze through you livewell pumps and hoses to make sure there no water in a low spot to freeze and bust when sitting all winter.For a four stroke its similar, only you have to change the oil and oil filter as well.Most four strokes are fuel injected so you cant fog in through the carb, but pull the plugs and spray some storage seal into the cylinder and crank the engine over a couple times with the kill cord pulled.The guys down south really dont know how good they have it when they can boat almost all winter long.Good luckPJ.
That just about sound like work to me!

Actually, us "guys down south" really do know how good we have it and we do indeed boat all winter long. Down here in our neck of the woods in Tennessee, winter time is sauger time, and you can still find crappie too.

FalconSmitty
10-31-2007, 10:12 PM
winterize??/ I just try to keep it on the lake a few times per week..I don't like the humidity and heat of late summer but I love the winters in Georgia...

bugman
11-01-2007, 04:43 AM
Yep, here in Ky. we simply put some coveralls in the boat and keep on keeping on. The only time I am tempted to put mine up is when the dang ski doo's are all over the place.

THE BANDIT
Same here.....gotta love that wintertime fishin:cool:

Team_Flopeye
11-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Almost My toon has been in for two out twice to drain toons,I am in SC too