Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing your boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winterizing your boat

I was reading the post bellow about when to store your boat for the winter and was wondering what some of you do to winterize your boat.I know I will be Stabiling and putting on a double cover when the weather gets to ugly.

Post Thanks / Like

For a standard outboard, heres what we do.First add gas stabilizer to the fuel system,then start the motor on a hose and flushette,once youve ran the engine to get the stabilized fuel ran through the fuel system, we use a fogging oil (on a regular 2 stroke) sprayed in through the cards to coat the crank and pistons with a nice coat of oil.The last thing you want to do is change your gear lube and run some pink RV antifreeze through you livewell pumps and hoses to make sure there no water in a low spot to freeze and bust when sitting all winter.For a four stroke its similar, only you have to change the oil and oil filter as well.Most four strokes are fuel injected so you cant fog in through the carb, but pull the plugs and spray some storage seal into the cylinder and crank the engine over a couple times with the kill cord pulled.The guys down south really dont know how good they have it when they can boat almost all winter long.Good luckPJ.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I do for my outboard set-up:
    Add stabilizer to gas or run it out of gas
    Fog the cylinders
    Put in new spark plugs
    Grease all fittings and cables
    Drain and refill lower unit
    Make sure the bilge pump, livewell pump and water lines are empty
    Store the batteries in a warm place
    Vacuum the carpet and wash the outside
    Check and grease the trailer bearings
    Put her in the garage and wait
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I don't have to winterize mine. I run it all year long.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, here in Ky. we simply put some coveralls in the boat and keep on keeping on. The only time I am tempted to put mine up is when the dang ski doo's are all over the place.

THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

move to Okeechobee like I did!!:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

If it ever gets that cold and stays cold long enough Im packing my bags.
    CATCH FILLET

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geez, did you build it a separate climate controlled room too?

Quote Originally Posted by prchjerker
    For a standard outboard, heres what we do.First add gas stabilizer to the fuel system,then start the motor on a hose and flushette,once youve ran the engine to get the stabilized fuel ran through the fuel system, we use a fogging oil (on a regular 2 stroke) sprayed in through the cards to coat the crank and pistons with a nice coat of oil.The last thing you want to do is change your gear lube and run some pink RV antifreeze through you livewell pumps and hoses to make sure there no water in a low spot to freeze and bust when sitting all winter.For a four stroke its similar, only you have to change the oil and oil filter as well.Most four strokes are fuel injected so you cant fog in through the carb, but pull the plugs and spray some storage seal into the cylinder and crank the engine over a couple times with the kill cord pulled.The guys down south really dont know how good they have it when they can boat almost all winter long.Good luckPJ.
    That just about sound like work to me!

Actually, us "guys down south" really do know how good we have it and we do indeed boat all winter long. Down here in our neck of the woods in Tennessee, winter time is sauger time, and you can still find crappie too.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

winterize??/ I just try to keep it on the lake a few times per week..I don't like the humidity and heat of late summer but I love the winters in Georgia...

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EDDY CREEK BANDIT
    Yep, here in Ky. we simply put some coveralls in the boat and keep on keeping on. The only time I am tempted to put mine up is when the dang ski doo's are all over the place.

THE BANDIT
    Same here.....gotta love that wintertime fishin
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast