Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help, lowrance playback feature

NJcrappie Guest

Default Need help, lowrance playback feature

bye
    Last edited by NJcrappie; 03-20-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJcrappie
    I have the 334 and the 520 and record trips. When I play them back on my computer I want to mark way points and get GPS numbers but it wont let me. It says the GPS unit is not responding. What am I doing wrong?
    Are you using this program to view the card? http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/SLV/sonar_viewer.asp

Also check this: http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/updates/default.asp to be sure you have the latest software. I see one of them makes an improvement to logging to the card.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try this

If you are running the playback through SonarViewer (as linked in previous reply), you can not directly enter waypoints (that I know of). I simply pause the playback, and then move the cursor to the spot I want to mark. A popup box should appear giving you GPS coordinates. Write them down and then continue playing the tape until you have wrote down all coordinates. Then take them to the actual unit and enter them in directly.

Another option is to play back the recording directly on your unit. You can't fast forward or anything, but going this route will let you enter the waypoints directly by hitting the waypoint button when the spot appears on the recording. It is basically the same as you would do on the water.

These are a couple ways I routinely enter GPS spots into my unit. A third option would be having waypoint coordinates saved onto an MMC card in a .usr format that can be directly uploaded and saved. I transferred a couple hundred Garmin waypoints into my Lowrance using a conversion program, but haven't looked into if you can save manual coordinates in the proper format to do this.

If you still get the error message after all this, then your GPS unit might not be responding or working correctly in the first place. That's a whole different problem.

-T9
    Last edited by Team9nine; 10-30-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to collect waypoint data as Team9nine described.

There is an easier way to enter the data:

1. Save the unit's waypoints to the SD card (transfer my data, save)

2. Load and run the GPS Data Manager program (http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/GDM/default.asp)

3. Open the data.usr file on the SD card with GDM

4. Enter new waypoint information (this is much easier than entering them in the unit)

5. Save file on card

6. Make sure file has the data you want

7. Delete all data (waypoints) from the unit (if you don'y do this step, you will get multiple points at the same location)

8. Load data.usr file in unit (transfer my data, load)

This process sounds long, but it takes less time than entering points directly in the unit.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the GDM like Pan Man mentioned but i cant get it to work on my computer. Everytime i try, it doesn't load up. Anybody had a problem like this????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon
    I've tried the GDM like Pan Man mentioned but i cant get it to work on my computer. Everytime i try, it doesn't load up. Anybody had a problem like this????
    Do you already have MapCreate? GDM will not work if MapCreate is present. GDM is a very simplified version of MapCreate. You can use the same procedure with MapCreate.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA
    Do you already have MapCreate? GDM will not work if MapCreate is present. GDM is a very simplified version of MapCreate. You can use the same procedure with MapCreate.
    I do not have a copy of MapCreate. I once did but deleted it off the 'puter. When i go to start it up, it gives me a runtime error and says a file is missing ot invalid. I've uninstalled a few time and redownloaded but still a no go. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon
    I do not have a copy of MapCreate. I once did but deleted it off the 'puter. When i go to start it up, it gives me a runtime error and says a file is missing ot invalid. I've uninstalled a few time and redownloaded but still a no go. Go figure.
    It sounds like you need to give Lowrance a call.
    Keith