Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selective Harvesting Crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Question Selective Harvesting Crappies

What are your opinions on the selective harvest concept as proposed by In-Fisherman? As I understand it, small and medium sized crappie can be taken but larger, sexually mature crappie should returned to the water. From some articles I read, the fishery benefits most by returning mature fish who have spawned at least once. I also have read that crappie will quickly overpopulate a lake if not heavily harvested and we should take mature as well as immature crappie. Lastly, what about fishing during the spawn? I've read that taking a male fish off nest will ensure that the fry in that nest will be wiped out in short order. So, should we fish during the spawn, should we return large mature fish, should we return all males guarding their nest? Lots of questions for this West Virginia boy.
    ...and this too shall pass.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you hit it on the head with the overpopulation statement.Crappie breed like rabbits.I know the regulars on our lake take home limits pretty regularly and have for years.While I haven't been in the game nearly as long as these fellas the fishing is still good and a lot of folks say it's better than ever.I think the northern lakes would benefit more from this as the fish grow much slower there.I saw an article or post on here once pertaining to growth rates in different parts of the country and they grow nearly twice as fast here where the waters always stay "relatively" warm.That has to have an affect on the question of whether to cull all big fish or not.I dont know about you but fillets from a 2lb slab taste mighty swell between two pcs. of bread .
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the tasting good part! I also remembered reading there should be no problem if you don't exceed the creel limits set by the state. Several states don't have creel limits though. I think you are right on the distinction between northern laks and southern lakes.
    ...and this too shall pass.

Post Thanks / Like

one egg cluster hatching a day probaly makes up for all the ones taken that day. Results my vary lol

Post Thanks / Like

HERE ON DALE HOLLOW WE HAVE A 10" MIN. ON CRAPPIE SO TAKING SMALLER ONES IS A NO.I TOO READ THAT A SINGLE FEMALE LAYS 1000's OF EGGS,AND THAT TAKING SPAWNING FISH DOES NOT HURT THE CRAPPIE POPULATION.I"VE PUT BACK LARGE FISH AT TIMES BECAUSE OF CULLING LIVEWELL OR BEING TO LAZY TO CLEAN THEM,BUT ITS PRETTY HARD TO PUT ONE BACK THATS TWO OR MORE POUNDS! GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!DENNIS
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS BOWERS
    HERE ON DALE HOLLOW WE HAVE A 10" MIN. ON CRAPPIE SO TAKING SMALLER ONES IS A NO.I TOO READ THAT A SINGLE FEMALE LAYS 1000's OF EGGS,AND THAT TAKING SPAWNING FISH DOES NOT HURT THE CRAPPIE POPULATION.I"VE PUT BACK LARGE FISH AT TIMES BECAUSE OF CULLING LIVEWELL OR BEING TO LAZY TO CLEAN THEM,BUT ITS PRETTY HARD TO PUT ONE BACK THATS TWO OR MORE POUNDS! GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!DENNIS
    I agree completely.......the best lake I have fished on had a 10" limit, and that is what I believe makes exceptional lakes compared to others....I don't believe taking out some males will harm the crappie population....especially with how much they reproduce......
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

I've posted on this subject before. I agree with the In-Fisherman concept but I also know it is very hard to return that big slab if not required to by law, plus the fact that crappie are so abundant is a major factor. In most southern lakes a 10" female can lay 10-20,000 eggs, whereas a 14-16" female can lay as many as 200,000 eggs. Taking all that into consideration and considering just how many crappie are in any given lake (100's of thousands), if only 1% of the fry survive, the lake can and will maintain it's crappie population.

I think the single most damaging effect on a crappie population in any given fishery is when the authorities to be keep the lake at draw-down during the spawn. If you have one poor spawn, then you can bank on it that 3 years from then the crappie fishing will be slow. Put two or three bad years back to back and it will be a decade before the lake recovers.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Good ole water rabbits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    I've posted on this subject before. I agree with the In-Fisherman concept but I also know it is very hard to return that big slab if not required to by law, plus the fact that crappie are so abundant is a major factor. In most southern lakes a 10" female can lay 10-20,000 eggs, whereas a 14-16" female can lay as many as 200,000 eggs. Taking all that into consideration and considering just how many crappie are in any given lake (100's of thousands), if only 1% of the fry survive, the lake can and will maintain it's crappie population.

I think the single most damaging effect on a crappie population in any given fishery is when the authorities to be keep the lake at draw-down during the spawn. If you have one poor spawn, then you can bank on it that 3 years from then the crappie fishing will be slow. Put two or three bad years back to back and it will be a decade before the lake recovers.
    Well stated Darryl!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if this applies to crappie or not (I don't know how long most crappie live), but I read a report on Lake Erie walleye once that stated the biologist wanted the VERY large females removed because the percentage of their FERTILE eggs was lower than a decent sized female. THey said they didn't want the males 'wasting time' with them. Said it would help the fishery if the older females were kept by fishermen.
    I don't know how true this is, just FYI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast