Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie/white bass

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie/white bass

Trying to take advantage of the great weather the last few days I went to Wapapello yesterday.

Caught a few nice crappie for dinner. But...on my way out around 5:30 I stopped by Rockaway boat ramp and fished off the bank near some submerged brush by the beach there.

The shad were jumping in the shallows and huge schools of White Bass were working.

I never had so much fun. The suckers were attacking my slip float. After the timid bite I got all day with the crappie, it was some real excitement getting hammered by the White Bass.

I was using the Sam Heaton ultra light with the 6lb test and a pumpkinseed jig that I'd been casting for crappie with earlier in the day. A couple of times I was concerned that they would snap the rod.

I forgot how aggressive White Bass are. Nice diversion from crappie at the end of the day and great laughs.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

hoot, back in the fall we were crappie fishing up near holliday landing and got on a school of white bass and just wore them out. for three days we absolutely had a blast catching them, hell we quit trying for crappie. caught some pretty nice ones too. they sure are a fun fish to catch.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adamr
    hoot, back in the fall we were crappie fishing up near holliday landing and got on a school of white bass and just wore them out. for three days we absolutely had a blast catching them, hell we quit trying for crappie. caught some pretty nice ones too. they sure are a fun fish to catch.
    Yeah Adam. They are mean little fish. Each time I thought I'd worn the buggers out, they'd come back with a second wind.

The way they were hitting my slip bobber was amazing. I'm going back with a top water lure and/or a spnner w/colorado blade. Got to be some fun.

I was talking with some friend from Texas last night and they are big into white bass down there. He said they are excellent table fare. I realeased everything yesterday, but I've never eaten white bass before but might just fillet one or two to check them out. Got to find out what the legal size is.

Three of them last night were fat with eggs. I went to bed thinking about that pow, smack, jumping out of the water hit we got. Woke me up after a day of seditary crappie fishing. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple of recommendation on the White Bass.
    If you don't like the oily fishy taste, cut out the red meat along the centerline of the fillet.
    Also, don't mix crappie and white bass in the same meal on the same plate. White bass are decent, but if you eat a piece of crappie and eat a piece of white bass, you'll know the difference and may not like it. This is much like Town House Crackers. If you eat the low fat ones by themselves, their pretty decent. But if you eat a low fat and follow up with the full flavor cracker, you realize how much flavor is missing.

Enjoy! 享用
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Papermouth
    Just a couple of recommendation on the White Bass.
    If you don't like the oily fishy taste, cut out the red meat along the centerline of the fillet.
    Also, don't mix crappie and white bass in the same meal on the same plate. White bass are decent, but if you eat a piece of crappie and eat a piece of white bass, you'll know the difference and may not like it. This is much like Town House Crackers. If you eat the low fat ones by themselves, their pretty decent. But if you eat a low fat and follow up with the full flavor cracker, you realize how much flavor is missing.

Enjoy! 享用
    Thanks for tips on preparing them. Noted on the crackers. lol. I know what you mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I agree with kit, after eating crappie all the time its tough to eat ole whitey. But boy are they a blast, to catch when they are on - they are on! Hoot, if you really like fishing for them you should come up to Truman in July and August. I have seen the whites get the shad boiling the water in about 60' circle. This happens about 7 or 8 in the evening, and when it happens just throw something in the middle and hold on.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to metion on the tasty crappie. I have a nice full belly of them right now. Myself and another guy today at work fryed up a big mess of crappie and all the fixings. Boy is it tough trying to get back work and not wanting to take a nap.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Forgot to metion on the tasty crappie. I have a nice full belly of them right now. Myself and another guy today at work fryed up a big mess of crappie and all the fixings. Boy is it tough trying to get back work and not wanting to take a nap.
    I was hoping to get back out today to play with the white bass some more but got busy on other projects.

Guess the thing that surprised me most is how they were hitting the slip bobber. My wife and I were laughing our collectives off while I was hoping my rod wouldn't snap. Great fun on light tackle!

Yeah I'd like to get to Truman someday. I've never fished there and always here good things about it.

Between trout and crappie dinners and the occassional catfish, I really don't need any other fresh water fish for the plate I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone in Missouri know a guy named Gene Stacy. Lives in Jefferson City.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone in Missouri know a guy named Gene Stacy. Lives in Jefferson City. HarryD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast