Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do you know its over?

Post Thanks / Like

Default When do you know its over?

Your boating season that is....Today I headed up to the lake to start closing up the cabin and hopfully catch a few crappies.
    The wind was out of the north and kept building as the day went on and the temp was about 40 degrees....but I was deturmined to get on the water.
    After a couple of hours of battling the waves and missing fish because of my gloves and only reaching into the minnow tank when there was nothing recognizable left on my jig.....snowflakes started to come down.
    That is when I said its over.
    Its time to winterize the boat and put it away.
    I did get half dozen nice crappies though.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Sure beats staying at home! I wanted to go yesterday when my daughter was off school but it was rainy and cold and that wouldn't have made for a good day as far as she is concerned. :D

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Boating season over? Winterize? What is that? Sorry, couldn't resist. I've broken thin ice a few times to get out but we don't get much here in SE Va. I do know what its like tho as I was raised in NW Ohio.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Here in South Carolina boating season is over only if your boat is broken. Other than that, game on.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siscoken
    Your boating season that is....Today I headed up to the lake to start closing up the cabin and hopfully catch a few crappies.
    The wind was out of the north and kept building as the day went on and the temp was about 40 degrees....but I was deturmined to get on the water.
    After a couple of hours of battling the waves and missing fish because of my gloves and only reaching into the minnow tank when there was nothing recognizable left on my jig.....snowflakes started to come down.
    That is when I said its over.
    Its time to winterize the boat and put it away.
    I did get half dozen nice crappies though.

Ken
    When I lived in NY, we would use the boat right untill there was ice. My dad still does! There will be good crappie fishing in the harbor/bay areas of Lake Ontario comming right up here in the next few weeks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat

Had a coating of ice on the boat a couple of days ago. Supposed to be in the 20s Monday morning but I'm going to leave the boat in another week. I listen to the weather and if they say snow its going on the trailer. Water temp. is 54 but they are still biting.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ken:

We quit fishing here on the evening of December 31st and start back up on morning of January 1st!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Ken:

We quit fishing here on the evening of December 31st and start back up on morning of January 1st!
    Rub it in!!!!

Just checked the weather channel and things have changed for next week ....it was suppose to be 30's for the next ten days , but now there are a couple of 50's days in there so maybe I spoke to soon.

Ken

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Boating season over? Winterize? What is that? Sorry, couldn't resist. I've broken thin ice a few times to get out but we don't get much here in SE Va. I do know what its like tho as I was raised in NW Ohio.

I spent 30 years in Akron Ohio so I also know about "Frozen" or "hard water" I was never blessed with a love for ice fishing either. Down south, anytime you can get out is a good time. Some species is always ready to take your bait. Jerry Blake said it all. We stop one year on New Years eve and start again on New Years Day. :D :D :D :D

Come on down south. The water is nice all year long. Temperatures ain't too bad either. I did see a snow flake....twice.....since I have been down here. I promise you, I do not miss shoveling all that lake effect snow in Ohio.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with putting your boat away, if you're bringing your shanty out.

Nothing like walkin on water :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast