Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stren Microfuse Line

Bob346 Guest

Default Stren Microfuse Line

Hi, I'm the new kid on the block here. An avid bass fisherman until fall comes then an avid crappie fisherman. Have been fishing for 60 years. Live in Iowa.

Came across this forum and it has a wealth of information.

I fish primarily 1/32 oz and 1/16 jigs by casting and dabbling using primarily Charlie Brewer's sliders, a generic tubes. Favorite line is 8/1 PowerPro, 4/1 Fireline and 4# XT. Because really large crappies are unusual in my location I often take the temper out of my hooks by heating the bend so the hook straightens out easy.

I've run out of polyethylene line for crappie fishing and when shopping locally came across Stren's Microfuse line. Am interested in their 4/1 or 6/2 pound test. The line is expensive and I've been stung before by purchasing the latest and greatest line, so am asking if anyone here has experience with Microfuse line in the lower pound tests?

Thanks!

Bob

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Bob. I haven't tried that particular line but have tried many of the others. So far in my opinion Power Pro is the best. If you try the Microfuse be sure to let us know what you think of it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the 4/1 on one of my lite reels. Got to admit, i dont care for it. It doesn't cast well and if there's any wind, forget about feeling a hit on the drop. I also tried it perch fishing on Lake Erie. We have to fish 47 to 62ft deep for them. Have to use over an ounce of weight to get the baits down quick. Wasn't bad but the fireline outfished it by a wide margin. I haven't tried it slow trolling so i cant comment on that. I'm thinking i should have got a bigger size line for open water fishing. I'll use this small line for icefishing this winter and see how it works. This is just how it worked/didn't work for me. It might be different for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried it, but have noticed it and wondered how it was... let us know!

Bob346 Guest

Default Stren Microfuse

Purchased 6/2 microfuse. Very similar in diameter to fireline 4/1 but microfuse a little thicker as expected as the technology is most likely similar. It seemed similar in stiffness to 4/1 fireline. It casted a 1/32 oz. jig with an original slider O.K. but not as well as 4/1 fireline (as expected). Should have purchased microfuse 4/1 for this application.

Like most polethylene lines tests well over rated strength. Tested three samples with a Berkley digital scale and all tested just over 10# with *no* knot.

I'm concerned that it will not be as visible on the water as fireline flame green. Hopefully will get a chance to try it on the water in the next several days. By the way Stren claims "When fishing in daylight, this thermally-fused braided line GLOWS a Hi-Vis FLUORESCENT Blue".

A disadvantage is the current price of microfuse being around $3 more than fireline for a 125 yd. spool.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Never use stren micofuse but, Welcome to crappie.com from SC.
    Live and Learn."Life's short fish Hard"

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used it either. I have wondered about it though. Welcome to the board. We're glad you're here.

Bob346 Guest

Default Update--Stren Microfuse

Spent about 4 hours yesterday crappie fishing with 6# Stren Microfuse casting 1/32 oz. jigs with an original crappie slider. My partner was fishing same lure with 4# flame green Fireline.

Microfuse line definitely was stiffer as evidenced by line coils. The fireline had coils but they were smaller. Not a fair comparison though as the 6# mcirofuse is a little larger in diameter. The coils were disconcerting and I will avoid 6# microfuse with 1/32 oz jigs in the future.

Microfuse was more visible than the fireline and did exhibit flourescence--again line diameter may have played a part. It was a bright sunny day. Would be interested in knowing if microfuse would be more visible on a cloudy day. By the way my main crappie reels are Diawa SS 700's

Brought along a Loomis light action bass spinning rod with a Diawa SS 1300 loaded with 8/1 power pro and attached the same jig combo. It was nice to see the power pro lay out with minimal coils. Also it cast enough farther than microfuse to be an advantage. The spool diameter may have been the most important factor.

As I mentioned in my original post I usually use 4# fireline. Should have purchased the microfuse in the same pound test. I'm still not sure based on my lack of comparison between 4# microfuse and fireline that there is any difference except color (and price) between microfuse and fireline in the same pound test. I do recognize the feed back of others posts and appreciate it.

After first purchasing microfuse I took comparison pictures with it and fireline 4#.

Nothing reported is surprising. Still have interest in the microfuse 4# if it would be more visible. Just not sure it is worth the $17.99 to find out.

Bob,

P.S. Did catch a meals worth of crappies.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

From Toledo Bend Texas!

Sorry don't know the line so can't help with that.

But if you need some jigs I can help with that and if interested please check out my web site.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!