Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxed Thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waxed Thread?

How does the size of thread work? bigger number smaller the size? Or is it smaller number smaller size?
    Pete

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Shiloh,

I just use a good 3/0 flat waxed nylon thread for all of my tying. It looks great and you can really put pressure on it while tying to hold your marabou or kip down. It does not tear and break like other threads. It also takes head cement well.

Cabelas has it as stock # TW-31 - 0661 It is about $3.00 for a couple hundred yards of it.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Old Ship. That is what I use now 3/0 Danville's Waxed. And to beat it all its the best I will ever get to use .
    As it was free, Yes Old Spider Rig man gave me a lot of this stuff. And I am putting it to work.
    But still would like to know it the bigger the number the smaller the thread?
    PEte

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    Thanks Old Ship. That is what I use now 3/0 Danville's Waxed. And to beat it all its the best I will ever get to use .
    As it was free, Yes Old Spider Rig man gave me a lot of this stuff. And I am putting it to work.
    But still would like to know it the bigger the number the smaller the thread?
    PEte
    I use mostly 210 Denier Flat Waxed Danville for jigs and 3/0 or 6/0 for flies. The smaller the fly the thinner the thread. I have also used some 140 Denier Ultra and I like it well too and it's just thinner, but still stronger than the other thin threads I use.

I do think most jigs are tied with 210 Denier. Oh and the Flat Waxed lays much flatter than regular.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 6/0 uni-thread. Some of the best stuff there is. It is super strong! Not sure if it is waxed though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys is 6/0 thread bigger then 3/0 thread?? That is what this post started about?
    I was trying to find out how to tell what size the thread is. I have and use some 3/0 now. but see others and was wondering how they size it?
    As i also tie Sauger Jigs and it needs a heavy thread compared to crappie jigs.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

6/0 is smaller than 3/0. The bigger the # the smaller the thread. I use 10/0 for jigs and 17/0 for trout flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytyfish
    6/0 is smaller than 3/0. The bigger the # the smaller the thread. I use 10/0 for jigs and 17/0 for trout flies.
    Thanks, That was what I thought. But nice to find out.
    Have a great day.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Smile size of thread to use for tying jigs

Go to FlyFisherman.com: The Virtual Flyshop! and you can download the Article "Choosing the Right Thread" and the answer to your question.

Post Thanks / Like

Fly Tyer magazine had an article on thread a few months back. I wish they'd put the Venier size and the thread size with the diamater of the thread then you woulddn't have to worry about it.

Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast