Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall / Winter Fishing Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall / Winter Fishing Trip

I have the bug to do some fall / winter crappie fishing. Will be travelling from North / Central Kentucky. WOnder if you all might throw out some suggestions. Do an annual spring trip to Reelfoot lake and have a non-resident license to TN. I can catch dinks all day long locally, but am looking at KY Lake, Douglas, Watts Barr, CHerokee. Seen posts and videos of NOvember thru January fishing on some of the mentioned, but wanted some tried and true advice from the folks on this message board.

Thanks
    CHris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Chris ....

Quote Originally Posted by mistertwister
    I have the bug to do some fall / winter crappie fishing. Will be travelling from North / Central Kentucky. WOnder if you all might throw out some suggestions. Do an annual spring trip to Reelfoot lake and have a non-resident license to TN. I can catch dinks all day long locally, but am looking at KY Lake, Douglas, Watts Barr, CHerokee. Seen posts and videos of NOvember thru January fishing on some of the mentioned, but wanted some tried and true advice from the folks on this message board.
    Thanks
    CHris
    If you like to shoot docks ... Watts Bar is pretty decent in Nov. Even if you don't know the lake very well ... you can go into the larger creeks, and just go from dock to dock, picking and choosing the ones to fish (those with deeper water under them). Also, you can find some fish along the steep rock cliff banks, and creek/bay mouth points.
    You're probably already aware of this, but I'll mention it for the benefit of others : The size limit on Crappie, at Watts Bar, is 10" - the daily creel limit is now 15 fish/person (decreased from 30/person, this year).

Can't tell you about the other lakes mentioned .... haven't fished them in the past couple of decades :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky Lake

Chris, If you would like to catch some large fish November or December or maybe even January if weather permits and if you like to single pole fish ledges and drops, you can find some very good fishing on Kentucky Lake. The majority of the fish that you catch this time of year on the average will be larger than the ones that you catch in the spring. I know Kentucky Lake is a large lake. I fish the Big Sandy River area in Tennessee.