Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: slow fall jig for docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default slow fall jig for docks

what type of jig have you all been most successful with shooting under docks n such? i assume you need something that will fall slow? does the marabou hair or bucktail jigs fall slower than the plastic stuff? we typically cast jigs like the panfish assasins or tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am fishing under a small ice cork, I like the Southern Pro Stinger on a 1/48oz. minnow head jighead. If I am not using the cork, I like the Southern Pro Hot Grub on the 1/48oz. minnow head jighead.

I really believe the Stinger is one of the best shallow water jigs available.

Just my opinion!
    Russ
    www.midwestcrappie.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking grundan ....

Quote Originally Posted by grundan
    what type of jig have you all been most successful with shooting under docks n such? i assume you need something that will fall slow? does the marabou hair or bucktail jigs fall slower than the plastic stuff? we typically cast jigs like the panfish assasins or tubes.
    most of the times I am shooting docks, I'm using a Panfish Assassin ... Crappie Pro solid body tube ... or marabou jig. I'm using either a 1/32oz or 1/16oz jighead. Since I rarely find them suspended close to the surface, under the docks, I use the weight of the jighead to control the speed of the fall. And, when wind is a factor, I stick with the 1/16oz.
    Tubes and hair jigs tend to fall straight down ... while Panfish Assassins tend to fall with movement (kind of zigzagging back and forth).
    Panfish Assassins do seem to 'skip' better, on the water's surface, and go farther back under the dock ... than a hair/feather or tube rigged jig.

You want/need something that will fall "slow" ... and flutter as it falls -- consider some MicroSpoons

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Russ, I love to shoot the Southern Pro Stinger Tail under the docks here on Weiss Lake. Most of the time I shoot them on a 1/32 or a 1/64 ounce head to let them fall slow through the strike zone. Several years ago, Southern Pro made a "Slow Fall Jig Head" that works really well...if you can still find them. It is about the same size as a 1/16...but falls 4 times slower than a 1/48! I have a lot of these in several different colors and they work really well when the bite is slow and the bait needs to stay in the strike zone a lot longer. I got all of mine back in the mid 80's and I have asked the guys at Southern Pro if they still made them and they told me they have not made them in years. Good luck on shooting the docks and I hope you catch a limit. See Ya' on the Water!

Also check out the crappie forum...www.procrappie.com Another great place to share information!!!

Darrell Baker
    Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
    PO Box 778
    Centre, Alabama 35960
    Tele/ 256-927-2232
    Cell/ 256-557-0129
    www.weisslakecrappieguides.com

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. guys

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I got skipping piers Monday. 8" or bigger. Nice and fat!
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mr.Crappie is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Slow Fall Lures

CRAPPIE THUNDER you can't find another bait that falls slower that is only 1"1/2 long Bass Pro Shops or check it out on the home Page of Crappie.com The number one seller at Bass Pro and Wal-Mart

Thanks
    Wally Marshall
    Designer and owner of Crappie Thunder

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what jig make you choose, they're all good in their own right, it's the weight that determines the speed of the fall. A 1/16th falls quite fast in my opinion and I can't imagine using an 1/8th. A 1/32nd falls much slower and works pretty well, the one I probably use the most. In the spring when I'm fishing real shallow and I want the slowest fall I'll drop down to a 1/48th. Sometimes you can even find a 1/64th and use it when the conditions permit.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree wuth Wally. The crappie thunder is hard to beat for a slow faller. Thats what I use with a 1/16 jig head. I just put the hook a little more to the edge of the body so I have more of the hook exposed. Excellent product.
    It's not a passion! It's A very bad obsession!

Post Thanks / Like

oops forgot to add a 1/32 jig in a red and white tube with crappie nibbles.
    Bill