Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different jigs for different techniques...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Different jigs for different techniques...

Okay, I was wondering which types of hand tied jigs everyone uses for different situations. Example, what do you use if you are trolling, dock shooting, casting, etc. I personally like to cast a lot, so I tie and use mostly marabou and suspend it beneath a small cork at whatever depth is working that day. Then slow retrieve with a pull and pause, or pop it, or straight retrieve, whatever the fish want. I also like to vertical jig the marabou if the fish are deep. I've not tried trolling with them yet, but I'm sure marabou will do great there as well. I haven't used many bucktail or calf hair yet. I'm sure someone can elaborate on the best use for them and other types of jigs.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just started tying my left over jigs meaning the jigs that i consider bad pours .i think marabou would work well for trolling.i am working on a new trolling jig,i believe it will work well with the slow trollers and the pullers

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to use marabou all the time. No matter what you are doing the marabou has action. Thats what I love about it.

Post Thanks / Like

marabou works good, but i like hair for trolling

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Float and fly - I use two tone marabou and Krystal flash

Jiggin - I use marabou or I use a kip tail

Trolling - I use a kip tail

I just like the way marabou undulates and pulsates in the water.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I like both hackle tail and marabou for trolling and I guess hackle I like better vertical fishing. I very seldom use hair. I do have some squirrel I tie that I am going to try and I like putting marabou and hair together.

Trolling I use from as small as I have 1/64 to 1/4 depending on the style of trolling I am doing. Most of the time though I like the smaller ones trolling 1/16-1/16.

I plan on trying some of the 1/64 fly fishing next spring.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I seldom use hair myself, though I'm not really sure why not. With the breathing action of the marabou, and the success I have had with it, it's hard to fish anything else. Especially when the fish aren't real active, but you know they are there. You just dangle that marabou jig in front of their faces. A lot of times they just can't resist the subtle motion of a marabou when they won't touch anything else. But I'm sure theat there are times when I could probably catch more fish with hair or hackle.
    Hey slab slayer1, why does the hair work better for trolling?
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

i would say plastics best for trolling! Hair and marabou do ok! For speed realy want a tail with action!

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what I am fishing for. For blue gill and crappie I find it hard to beat rabbit fur. I really love the action of either crosscut or zonkers tied on a jig. Blue gills love it tied on a 1/64 or 1/32 no collar trout jig suspended under a bobber. The rabbit fur is not as busy as marabou but it does have action.

Mike P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick
    I seldom use hair myself, though I'm not really sure why not. With the breathing action of the marabou, and the success I have had with it, it's hard to fish anything else. Especially when the fish aren't real active, but you know they are there. You just dangle that marabou jig in front of their faces. A lot of times they just can't resist the subtle motion of a marabou when they won't touch anything else. But I'm sure theat there are times when I could probably catch more fish with hair or hackle.
    Hey slab slayer1, why does the hair work better for trolling?
    I like the profile of a hair jig in the water. And most of the time people troll marabou or plastic, so i like to give something they dont see all the time. And i like to two tone, and add flash to hair, just eaiser for me to do than with marabou.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast