Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I use plastic only for crappies !!!!

ProfessorCrappieArkansas Guest

Default I use plastic only for crappies !!!!

Hello fellow crappie hunters,
    Although, I'm a newly registered member. I have been visiting this site for a
    year and a half... I decided to share,and pass on, some of my crappie wisdom.
    Along with learning something new myself...

I must say that in the beginning, I was a bobber and minnow man... Two
    "old timers", would slay the crappies. They would also set my bobber and minnow at the same depth as theirs...

As we watch all three boobers float under the bridge, theirs would go down and my bobber would continue on with out a bite. This went on for a
    year. Now I had my share of good days, but not on the level of the " Great Two"...

I could not take it anymore. I changed to plastic grubs and tubes. Not having a boat, I develope a trolling and finesse method of fishing. Shortly, I was out producing the two great ones combined...

It's has been 14 years, without using live bait of any kind !!!! Those who
    know me,will tell you..."Oh, he will not use live bait, even if we are catching fish... He will continue to hunt for them, but if he finds them... WATCH and LEARN !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink No success with plastics!!

Ever since i caught my first 14' crappie at Sandy's Marina in Belleville 2 years ago, I've been on this mission to "Slay the Slabs"! When I started crappie fishing 2 years ago, I only used minnows. I have plenty of plastics and have caught nothing on them. Just my opinion, nothing works better than live bait. I also fish under the bridge at Rawsonville in Belleville and me and my fellas kill the crappie under there every time we go, using live bait!!! Maybe I'm presenting the plastics wrong or something!!!
    Detroit Crappie Killa

Post Thanks / Like

Cranbaits work really well during the spawn I out fished a couple guys who where using soft plastics and I was throwing cranks
    "Take Life one fish at a time"

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth dept.

I think you should fish with what you have the most confidence in.

Personally, as a former bass fisherman, (I know, my shame) I like a more active approach to fishing. Casting, looking for active fish, etc. For me artificial bait works best. I'm totally convinced that I will eventually find the fish and catch them on any given day.

I know trolling with live bait works & still fishing with live bait works.

I don't believe I could catch anymore on live bait than I do on artificial and all things being equal, why mess with minnows. At the end of most days when using minnows I ended up dumping the leftovers in the lake.

I do know that sometimes in very deep fishing in the winter live bait may be better. But, since I hate being cold I usually stay home then anyway.

So, fish confidently with your bait of choice and enjoy. Crappie are Gods gift to the common man.
    Good fishing.