Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnow Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow Rigging

I USUALLY RIG MY MINNOWS WITH THE MINNOW ON THE BOTTOM AND THE WEIGHT ABOUT 6" TO 12" ABOVE. I'VE SEEN SOME OTHER PEOPLE THAT HAVE THEIRS RIGGED WITH EITHER ONE OR TWO LOOP KNOTS WITH THE MINNOW ABOUT 12" APART AND THE WEIGHT DOWN BELOW THE MINNOWS ABOUT 12". I'D LIKE TO HEAR OPINIONS ABOUT MINNOW RIGGING, WHY ONE WORKS BETTER THAN THE OTHER. I DO MISS ALOT OF HITS, DON'T KNOW WETHER TO SET THE HOOK WHEN I FEEL THEM TAKE IT OR WHEN THE ROD JUST STARTS TO BOB.

Post Thanks / Like

It has been my experience that the minnow, jig, whatever, seems to work best when it is below the weight. More suspended. For me anyway. And in my experience crappie don't grab a bait like a bass or catfish will. They sort of slurp it down. So a quick hook-set may be too soon and you pull it out of their mouth. I have been known to be wrong though.

Post Thanks / Like

Weight above bait (minnow or jig) is what I like. Smallest weight as I can get away with per conditions.

Instead of setting the hook, try a firm "lift" of only an inch or two on the rod if you're uncertain of what's tugging on the other end. Hope this helps!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superdave1984
    It has been my experience that the minnow, jig, whatever, seems to work best when it is below the weight. More suspended. For me anyway. And in my experience crappie don't grab a bait like a bass or catfish will. They sort of slurp it down. So a quick hook-set may be too soon and you pull it out of their mouth. I have been known to be wrong though.
    x2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldwingtiny
    Weight above bait (minnow or jig) is what I like. Smallest weight as I can get away with per conditions.

Instead of setting the hook, try a firm "lift" of only an inch or two on the rod if you're uncertain of what's tugging on the other end. Hope this helps!!
    Me too. Unless you use a lite leader, I think the weight above the monnow allows it to swim more naturally and longer.

By the way goldwingtiny, I fell in love once in Sealy when I was in highschool. I believe the name of the place was Katy's or Sady's?? Just off the freeway. This was before Marvin Zindler started bringing attention to those places.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DRPEPPER]Me too. Unless you use a lite leader, I think the weight above the monnow allows it to swim more naturally and longer.

By the way goldwingtiny, I fell in love once in Sealy when I was in highschool. I believe the name of the place was Katy's or Sady's?? Just off the freeway. This was before Marvin Zindler started bringing attention to those places.
    DP[/QUOTE

ROTFLMAO!!!:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I like to put a sinker on the bottom and then one or two hooks spaced up the line about a foot to a foot and a half.When I'm fishing brushpiles I like a decent sized sinker(3/8 or bigger)because I can drop straight down into the pile and use the sinker as a feeler plus the heavier weight keeps the minnow from swimming around so much and geting me snagged up all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ad1974
    I like to put a sinker on the bottom and then one or two hooks spaced up the line about a foot to a foot and a half.When I'm fishing brushpiles I like a decent sized sinker(3/8 or bigger)because I can drop straight down into the pile and use the sinker as a feeler plus the heavier weight keeps the minnow from swimming around so much and geting me snagged up all the time.
    I use this technique also but when I use a float I place a hook on the bottom then about 6" up I place splitshot then a foot above the split shot I place a loop knot with a hook for the deaper minnows battle buddy. I place enough split shot so it is easy for the crappie to pull it under or if they lift the bait like they did a few nights ago, the float will rise in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks To All For The Input. It Seems That It's Back To Just What Works Best For You, Maybe I'll Try One Of Each And See.

Post Thanks / Like

minnow on bottom--weight 16 inches above minnow--i always hook my minnow upside down--dont ask why
    Get the net!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast