Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just curious

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just curious

What would you see, if anything, if you mounted a regular transducer on the side of your trolling motor? I'm guessing it would show a false depth reading which I would expect. Im just curious if you would see anything.
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Supposingly that is how Bottom Line's Side Finder came into being. I guess someone tilted one up and was able to see fish under a pier. I use to have one but got tired of having to have it fixed all the time.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boat49
    What would you see, if anything, if you mounted a regular transducer on the side of your trolling motor? I'm guessing it would show a false depth reading which I would expect. Im just curious if you would see anything.
    Ok.

I got a 45 degree transducer that is mounted at 22.5 degrees (physical) on the right side of my boat via pole and handle. I can see down and out. Yep. The mounting angles are simple math.

Lotta people don't know bout this.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I see some experimenting coming on! Thanks for the info.....I love this site! I'm getting just smart enough to be dangerous from all the ideas and info I get on here.
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

I've thought about that but never got around to trying it - I'm thinking
    you'd want to set the depth range to manual, instead of
    auto? How do you do it Canepole?
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I heard about guys mounting the transducers for flasher units on broom handles and the sides of their trolling motors to look for schooling fish. This was way back in 1982! If you do this with one of the LCD units you will need to manually set the depth range and either hide or ignore any depth readings.

Basically this is what our WideSide transducer is except that it also has the downwards pointing sonar beam and another side pointing beam in the opposite direction.

If you do this you may have to experiment with the actual angle of the transducer as all stated transducer angles were taken from laboratory conditions which may not reflect what you have on the water [you have to angle it far enough downwards to not get sonar returns from the surface of the water].
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can