Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a tip.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's a tip.....

I'm sure many of you have tried this, but here it is anyway. I have found this to be very very productive when vertical fishing. I tie on a jig...usually a tube jig.....then I tie on a regular minnow hook on the tag end....about 6 inches down from the jig. Put a minnow on that. This lack of weight allows the minnow to swim around down there. For some reason I catch quite a bit more crappie with this rig then I do if I just had the minnow by itself....or just the jig by itself. Or two jigs for that matter. Anyhow.....there it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Well since you said it then I'll bite. hehehe I have not tried that but you can bet i will. Do you get more bites on the jig or the minnow?

Post Thanks / Like

The minnow usually. But occasionally the jig.

Post Thanks / Like

How are you hooking the minnow on (through the lips,tail,eye's or back)?
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hook em through the top lip. This is another tip. Hook a minnow through the top lip and they live much longer. I have done this over the past month with shiners and regular bait shop minnows and they stay alive much longer when only hooked through the top. Especially shiners, since they seem to be more fragile than regular minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappster-i"ve Never Tried It Either,but I Will Tomorrow! Thanks For The Tip & Good Fishin To Ya!!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up good tip..

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    I'm sure many of you have tried this, but here it is anyway. I have found this to be very very productive when vertical fishing. I tie on a jig...usually a tube jig.....then I tie on a regular minnow hook on the tag end....about 6 inches down from the jig. Put a minnow on that. This lack of weight allows the minnow to swim around down there. For some reason I catch quite a bit more crappie with this rig then I do if I just had the minnow by itself....or just the jig by itself. Or two jigs for that matter. Anyhow.....there it is.
    ...never done that...but will now..Thanks :D ..cant wait to try it!!!
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

So no weights or is the minnow enough? What size tube jig are you using?

What about line and leader too. Any swivels or anything?

Post Thanks / Like

No weights Crapbie. I use a 1/16th oz jig head with a 1 1/2 inch or two inch tube. Then just the minnow hook underneath the tube, anywhere from 6 inches to a foot down. This would be a little light for most trolling, but for stationary vertical fishing it works great. I also use 4 or 6 lb test. Depends on how many hybrids or stripers are in the area I fish.

Post Thanks / Like

well i like to hook the minnow through the mouth also but I usually hook up through the bottom lip through the nose hole. I sometimes have a problem keeping the joker on this way as I cast to hard many times and throw him off or rip his mouth out or something. I hate when that happens. But I have to cast it out there to get it to the deep water where i want it. But I hate it even worse when the lil guy just swims off the hook. Maybe I need a different jig with a bigger barb on the hook. Is there a better way to do this or is it just one of those things that you have to accept about fishing like donating your tackle to the lake?! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast