Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lost rod at White River

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost rod at White River

Once a year, my father and his brothers all take a trip to the White River in Calico Rock, Arkansas for some much needed relaxation and trout fishing. Two years ago, my father and his brothers headed on up and I had to wait a day later because of work. Finally, I made it there and found that the trip had been pretty much a disaster so far. My uncle had lost his brand new 9' WM Pro Series crappie rod and he was pouting. On top of that, when he lost it, he fell out of the boat and he was mad. After hearing the story, I told him to not worry that I would find the rod if he showed me where he lost it. He didn't believe me and told me not to worry about it. The next morning I fished with my dad and he noticed that the water level had dropped overnight. The fishing was ok in the morning and slacked off later in the afternoon, so we went looking for the spot where he lost the rod. My dad couldn't remember where they were because the water had fallen so much, everything looked different. We went down a small chute and found a bare rocky island that looked like a good spot for my father to relieve himself and while he did I took a walk down the island. I walked about 30 yards and saw something glimmer in the sun up ahead. As I came upon it I realized it was a rod, but not my uncle's. It was a good one too, Browning Citori with reel. I walked a little further and found another rod, but again, not my uncle's. This one was an inexpensive ultralight from BPS. Looking ahead, there was not much island left and my dad was finished and hollering for me, but I forwarded on. Another 20 yards and ran into water, but as I turned around to head back, off to the side, up under a rock was my uncle's crappie rod!! I couldn't believe it. Apparently, when the rod went in it tumbled down river until it hit a high spot and got stuck. Then the water dropped and exposed them all. I went back to show my father and he couldn't believe it. 3 rods on one island!! I made my uncle suffer for the rest of the day until after supper and presented him with his rod. This is not the first time this has happened. I have caught rods on other occasions. Heck, just the other day my father caught a Zebco 33 and rod at Lakeview in Desoto County, MS.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeepster,

You must be one lucky guy. I do not think I have ever found a rod. I have however found 3 boats, I own some property that borders Center Creek and when the water rises it forms an island and all kinds of things wash up on the island including a canoe, 10 foot flat bottom, and a 14 foot flat bottom. I did not find them all at once but at different times. None of them had numbers on them and the local sheriffs department told me they would have no way to locate the owner so I could keep them.

Post Thanks / Like

Good story Jeepster, I was just north of Calico Rock about 3 weeks ago trout fishing in Norfork. Had a blast. That was my first trip to those parts, won't be my last. It's amazing what you can see in that clear water.
    David McCarley

Post Thanks / Like

Had a catfish jerk a slick Shimano Stradic out of my hand one night and those aren't cheap, I drug a treble hook and egg weight around until I had almost given up when I said "Lord let me catch my rod and reel and I will be in Church Sunday" Next cast I hung something and as it got close my rod came out of the water like Excaliber,I was in church Sunday,I like telling that very true story !!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good one 1Caprandy, It's amazing and almost scary when the Lord answers a prayer that quick. I lost my wedding ring one day and looked every where for it and had just about given up, said a prayer and Bam!, I caught a reflection of it laying in the front yard. On the subject of finding and losing fishing rods, I was fishing Glen Springs Lake and noticed a crank bait floating in the water, reached down and picked it up and there was line conected to it so I pulled the line in and ther's a Johnny Morris Signature series reel and worm rod attached. (about $300) I was a happy camper, lubed it up and it worked like new. I used that thing for about 2 years and caught all kind of fish with it untill one day I was fishing Gibson County Lake, I set the hook on one of those logs that feel just like a 10 pounder and when I did the rod slipped out of my hands and into about 8 foot of water. I wasn't about to lose my free rod and reel so jumped in and swam around a good while but there was too much brush laying on the bottom, everything felt like a fishing pole. For a week all I could think about was that pole. I rigged me a garden rake on the end of a piece conduit about 10 foot long and went back down there and after about 20 min. hooked my lizzard and pulled it in. That pole has been lost in two diferent lakes and it's still going strong. I enjoy yall's stories, keep em coming!

Post Thanks / Like

i only found one rod eer and that was catfishing, it was one of them shakespere tiger rods with the big closed face reeel on it, i cleaned it up and works great for catfish rod, i since hve took of the spincast reel and put on a pinacle baitcaster

Post Thanks / Like

I once worked at a summer camp for kids and we were constantly having rods jerked in the water at our catfish pond. Kids would sit the rod down and walk away. The monster cats we had would wait til then to hit. The old maintenance man showed me a trick. He would tie on an old metal fish stringer, the kind with the clips that snap open and closed. Tying the end to his line, he would open all the clips and cast it out and drag the bottom. I saw him retrieve numerous rods this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Lived in KY for about 8 months of my life (that I'll never get back). I wanted to fish one day and my girlfriend's father told me there was a nice lagoon (oxbow lake) on the backside of his land. He said he used to just kill the fish down there. He stopped going there because he couldn't drive a vehicle. The path had rutted out so bad the ruts were waist deep. I decided I was a trooper one day...so I packed 12 beers, some bee moth, worms. some tackle lawn chair, ultra light rod and a catfish rod. I walked down to this so called fishing hole. I walked for about a mile and a half straight downhill to get to this spot. Carrying all this stuff, in the heat of summer! I stopped a couple times to drink a beer on the way. Finally I get there and it's a beautiful looking oxbow right off Green River that flowed just feet away from this place. I was in heaven. I pulled out the ultra light and caught a couple big bluegill right off the bat. I put a worm on the ultra light and threw it out and baited a bluegill on my catfish rod and threw it out. I flipped my lawn chair open, sit down and cracked a beer and no sooner then I did............ both $%#@ing poles hit the water at the same time!! Now here I am in the middle of summer, hotter than blue blazes and both my poles jerked in the water at the same time!! I finished my remaining beers listening to wildlife and walked my fat butt back, defeated. The things I brought back from living in Kentucky was this fish story and some mason jars with kerosene or something in em !
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.