PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Lake is almost dry.

Charger
10-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Took these today. This area is Swann's Marina off of I-40.
Every single boat is sitting in mud.

http://webpages.charter.net/rcflyer/swannsmarina.JPG

This is the I-40 bridge next to Swann's.

http://webpages.charter.net/rcflyer/I40bridge.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/rcflyer/I40bridge1.JPG

This is just up from the bridge at Nina Holler. Will be no winter crappie fishing here this year :crying:

http://webpages.charter.net/rcflyer/nina.JPG

Another shot of Swann's Hollow.

http://webpages.charter.net/rcflyer/swannsmarina1.JPG

CrappiePappy
10-21-2007, 12:05 PM
is that a normal drawdown for Douglas ??

You would think that Swans would have moved the Marina around the corner, into some water, rather than let the docks and boats settle in the mud :eek:

They dropped Lake Cumberland ... from a 52,000 acre lake to a 38,000 acre lake (dam repair) ... and the affected Marina owners moved with the falling water.

... cp :cool:

Charger
10-21-2007, 12:09 PM
No CP, not normal. Drought conditions.
They would have had to move the marina a VERY LONG WAYS to even get to enough water. They wouldnt have done it anyway, they do not keep that place up very well.

FishnLine
10-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Man....that's bad. We need a lot of rain. Hopefully we will have a wet winter around here.

SMITTY 58D
10-21-2007, 12:31 PM
With the last front that went through we finally got the rain we needed, to bad it dropped tornadoes with the rain.

DENNIS BOWERS
10-21-2007, 01:27 PM
The whole state Needs RAIN Bad!Hopefully the Front coming in will dump some on us here!We"re down about 18-20 ft.!! Good Pics Charger,But I feel for ya!!

guest01
10-21-2007, 01:31 PM
its a sad thing to see the lakes like that. We are 14 feet down now and the corps prediction is to go another 14-16 feet by the end of the year. BRING ON THE RAIN AND LOTS OF IT

stinkies daddy
10-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure i'd quit payin for my slip rental

CrappiePappy
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure i'd quit payin for my slip rental

those were my sentiments, exactly :p

... cp :cool:

crappielimits
10-21-2007, 05:36 PM
That is a shame! I feel so bad for you guys! Sounds like a good time for a trip! You will be in my prayers.

Baxter1
10-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Thats really something.Pray for rain.

crappiekid24
10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Sorry to see that! Praying for rain for you guys! I wont be greedy this year I will let some moisture come your way. That is if you want cold weather too. Just want maybe 4inches of snow here then you can have all the moisture you want.

shipahoy41
10-22-2007, 05:39 AM
I have fished on Douglas twice when I visited my dad in Knoxville. I have not been back since he died. He was a catfishing genious. It is so sad about not only Douglas but also many of our lakes here in Alabama. They are way, way, down. Many people have to launch 50 miles or so away from regular launch areas. They are also photographing where PVC was "secretely" positioned last year. Needless to say those bruchpiles and crappie condos are no longer secret. I hope the Lord blesses us with some much needed rain. Temperatures are still hot in the south, while Denver got four inches of snow yesterday.

jstlovtofish
10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Under normal conditions, how large of an area does Douglas cover? Are there enough deep holes there that the fish can get to? I know it's not the same but I had a pretty good size pond dry up a couple of years back and it has not recoverd yet.

Charger
10-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Douglas is a little over 28,000 acres. Theres still some water on the lower end at the dam, but not much. I guess the fish will have to bunch up in the river channel.

Fessum
10-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Hmmmm...bunched up in the river channel...what's that old saying "like shooting fish in a barrel" lol probally still won't bite...

gabowman
10-22-2007, 12:48 PM
I know how bad it hurts your heart seeing your favorite recreation/fishing lake so low. I can remember back in the early 80's when our lake seemed to almost dry up. People around here talked and I thought it woulda taken a couple years to fill 'er back up. Finally we got hard rains for a stretch and in 2 weeks or so we were full again. My guess is when you start seeing the Mississippi flooding people out of house and home again then get ready cause the water is aheaded this way.

Fishn N Wishn
10-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Steve is cherokee looking ruff also? I'm sure it is tho.

Cane Pole
10-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Man that is awful. I think TVA uses Douglas to keep the rest of the Tn river up so the big boats can navigate.

Is Cherokee down too?

I sure am lucky to be on the back end of the river.
They (TVA) gotta keep the water up for the barges to bring them coal for the fossil fuel plants and to cool the Nukes. Necessary evil, but it sure don't hep you guys.

sac-a-lait
10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Atlanta's down to a 90 day supply...Then they draw down Lanier and some other lakes so low, that experts warn the lakes MIGHT never EVER be able to refill...or catch up to the use vs how much will re-enter the system...What's going on?

crappielimits
10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
THEY HAVE OVER BUILT IN THE AtLANTA AREA WITHOUT REGARD TO THE RESOURCES. NOW THEY ARE TRYING TO BLAME EVERYONE ELSE. I HATE THERE SITUATION, BUT THE GOV. IS TRYING TO ACT LIKE A SAVIOR AND HE SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING AND BEEN PREPARED A LITTLE BETTER. I HATE TO SEE LANIER AND ALTOONA IN THE STATES THEY ARE IN. THESE TENN. LAKES ALSO I FEEL FOR THEM.