Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lindy rigs! Who uses them? Do they work for crappie?

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lindy rigs! Who uses them? Do they work for crappie?

Just wondering about using it for crappie..
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-21-2007 at 09:46 AM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are a catfish rig. I have never user worms for crappie. I had 3 large crappie in my fish tank. They would never eat worms. Tried several times they wouldnt look at them. But drop a minnow in there. And they went nuts.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Smitty ...

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty

Just wondering about using it for crappie..
    I don't know why it wouldn't ... it's got hook, line, and sinker -- the basics for live bait angling. Don't know as you would need the "Worm Blower", unless you were using nightcrawlers. And if using minnows, there'd be little use for the barrel swivel.
    It's mostly used for Walleye fishing ... slow trolling with nightcrawlers (or leeches, & ocasionally minnows).

How would you propose using it for Crappie, where a simple hook/sinker rig would not suffice ??

... cp

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

well right now those crappie should be running those flats picking off shad. I know crappie feed up the majority of the time. I also catch crappie closer to the bottom in cold weather. You could drag a flat with em. Minnows of course.

I guess a kentucky rig will do the same thing just set up different..

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine uses the snag free Lindy rig kentucky rigged with good success.
    However I've seen the "snag free" thing so snagged up it didn't make it back. And I don't think they are cheap enough to be disposable.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

It was popularized by Ron and Al Lindner. They used it for walleye, but I'm sure it would work for crappie if they were near the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is designed for walleye originally. The worm blower will have a syringe to push air into the collar of the worm to make it float off the bottom, and when a fish gets the worm into it's mouth, the air is released giving off more scent, hopefully making the fish hang on longer for the hookset.
    Through the years, fishermen have applied this rig to bluegills, whitebass, and catfish. Sometimes the hooks are replaced with floating jigheads.
    Haven't caught very many crappies on this rig, but there is no reason why the worm can't be substituted with a minnow. I use it mostly for walleyes in the river, but they work just as well in the lakes.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Put a flourescent red bead in between that sinker and the barrel swivel and you have the basics of what I used to call a modified Carolina rig. It is very effective for fishing near or off the bottom whether the water is four feet deep or twenty feet deep. Most people I know float the bait 18-30 inches off the bottom with a floating jig hook.

This is my modified Carolina / lindy rig set up for when fish are close to the bottom.

Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-22-2007 at 02:30 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

floating jig heads...I admit I've never seen them in the southeast. I have used a bottom bumping catfish rig with a corkto float the bait.
    Last night when I was setting up for nightstalking some crappie I noticed some fish on the the humminbird. They were stacked in the bottom 5' on a
    27' flat top hump. I stopped before even getting my 2nd anchor set. Dropped a minnow to the bottom and started putting it in the holder but wham there was a 5lb catfish. I dropped it to the bottom again and another channel cat. Caught 7 back to back then caught 3 hybrids. The reason I kept dropping it to the bottom was it looked like crappie to me on the sonar...Finally the crappie started. Landed a pounder from the bottom and a few of his friends. As the lights came on the crappie stopped for about 30 minutes. They started biting at 6' - 14' never figured which was best. I threw back close to 20 little ones and a few small hybrids. I ended up keeping an even dozen 10" or better crappie 5 of those 3# - 5# channel cat and 6 hybrid. Was home by 10pm.. I can't wait for the time change..
    I'm rambling again.. Anyway those crappie were feeding on the bottom before dark. That is why I was thinking of dragging some minners on the bottom of some flats because I have seen this every fall where I fish. Pushing kentucky rigs works but those lindys would work better from the back of the boat... right?