Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Does anyone have a Humminbird 785c2?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone have a Humminbird 785c2?

I am looking to upgrade from my trusty Garmin gps76. I am wanting a color chartplotter that accepts the mapping cards. I was looking at the handheld units like the Garmin 376c, But I like the looks of the Humminbird 785c2 and the fact that it can be purchased with $1700 of Navionic maps preloaded for $200 more. Has anyone used the Humminbird 785c2 yet? Any likes or dislikes? Do you transfer your waypoints straight into the unit or do you have to purchase an sd card and reader?
    I have not used any of the Navionic stuff before. Are all lakes/rivers shown in detail? Are the contour lines accurate or are these more like looking at a paper map? I am open for any other suggestions.

Thanks
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

may want to check the pricing from www.jandhproducts b-4 you buy,,i didn't get this particular unit but they saved me a bunch on the 1 i did and it was shipped the same day i ordered,,
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,
    Be aware that those are the 2006 version of the Navionics HotMaps and Charts in the NVB bundle with the 'Bird. There have been many lakes added in the high-definition survey format in the 2007 version HotMaps cards from Navionics since than (and more to come in the 2008 versions no doubt). Still its a great value for what you get - just make sure its what you want.

The GPS and charts would be the same in this unit as they are in the 787c2 or 797c2 units, so someone with one of those models should be able to comment.

Waypoints can be added to the unit via an SD card once they are in the Humminbird format. Depending on what format they are in now you may be able to use the free HumminbirdPC program to do so.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Greg,
    Thanks for the information. I had not noticed the map year. The bundle would give me some maps in Hd of some lakes that I would like to visit. Can I purchase a newer card for my local area and still retain the preloaded maps?
    When you have a map card and one with waypoints how are they used? Does the information from both get loaded into the hard drive or does the disc have to be in place to view the information?
    I am thinking that I may just get the 787c2 over the 785c2 now.
    Thanks for the help!
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,
    Sure, if you go with the NVB bundle option you can always use a map card with more detailed maps. These will automatically be shown instead of the NVB bundle maps. The NVB bundle maps will still be there, the unit just knows to show the maps from an inserted map card instead.

If you have waypoints loaded on a memory card, they must first be loaded into the unit's memory before using. So you would load the waypont data first, take that memeory card out and than install the mapping card. After a day of fishing just remove the mapping card, reinsert your waypoint card and use the Save All Nav Data menu to save your waypoints to the memory card (than save this data file on your PC as a back up!).
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can