Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Katalba Worms

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Katalba Worms

You guys come this way, get some of these critters. They green with black racing stripes. Catch anything with 'em. Be aware that they spit and poop a lot though. Wal Mart sells them and so does Cullpeppers. Them green nightcrawlers work good too..Fish hungry, they eat anything....
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking yep CP ...

Catalpa worms are a very good Catfish bait ... and those "nuclear" nightcrawlers are probably good, too. But, there's an even better bait for Catfish & panfish What is it, you say Well - I don't know their scientific name ... I always heard them called "green worms". They're about the same size as a nice sized earthworm (but not as big as a nightcrawler) ... and they are "green" (not grass green, but more like a washed out "OD green") ...for those of you unfamiliar with "OD Green" -that's "military" code for Olive Drab green )the color of work fatigues/uniform. You find these worms along river banks, where the banks are composed of sand, mud, and leaves. They're usually found in the shady spots of the river bank. You'll know they are there ... just look for lots of holes in the bank, with mounds of tiny "pellets" around the holes. Dig them out with a pitchfork, and try not to cut them in two with the tines. When handled, injured, or especially when a hook is stuck into them - they will exude a slime ... and it smells terrible. The smell is a little difficult to get off your hands, without some good soap (Lava) and a good scrubbing!! But ... they will catch you a mess of Catfish or panfish (if you can keep the Drum off of them long enough ...LOL!!)
    As a teen, I used to fish the Ky River .... "green worms" were free bait (and free is good when you're a poor boy). I never used them for Crappie ... but, my fishing buddy (of those years) and I caught Catfish, Bass, Waterdogs, Eels, Bluegill, and plenty of Freshwater Drum with them. ...cp

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was young we used to go across the road from my house and get the catalpa worms out of a catalpa tree that was over there and then we'd go catch bream with 'em. Never thought you would be able to buy them in a store.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few gallons in the freezer. And about 15 trees on my places near the Tn river.
    Great fish bait.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have a catalpa tree tight next to my driveway that hangs out over the lake. It never gets any worms on it though. Some catalpa trees don't.

Post Thanks / Like

ANybody ever use those "bag" worms found in some evergreen shrubs? Bag was made of bunch of needles stuck together. I remember using them as a kid - break the bag open and there was a worm inside. MAde for good fishin'.
    If I remember right, we used to try and turn our catalpa worms inside out. It made for one gooey mess.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up For sure jcass .....

I've picked "bag worms" off evergreen bushes ... like I said - "free is good" ...LOL!! I've also heard about the "turning inside out" process for Catalpa worms. And that's probably one reason why I never used one ... !! The other reason being the lack of Catalpa trees around my area. Then again, the "horseweed worms" were plentiful and easily obtained.
    And, as a young man (teen to twentysomething), I also used garden pests (like potato bugs, grasshoppers) and various other "critters". ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcass
    ANybody ever use those "bag" worms found in some evergreen shrubs? Bag was made of bunch of needles stuck together. I remember using them as a kid - break the bag open and there was a worm inside. MAde for good fishin'.
    If I remember right, we used to try and turn our catalpa worms inside out. It made for one gooey mess.
    If you will cut the catalpa worms into, They work better than using whole.
    Been using them for about 35+ years.
    Pete