Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Red disapears at 3 feet....

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If Red disapears at 3 feet....

I sent off for a Grizzly Jig catalog and received it yesterday and seen a ad in there for some red fishing line that disappears starting at 3'? Now that is great but what about all the lures, jigs, jig heads and worms that have red on them seems to me they would disappear? Now I am reading about Red Hooks the ad says that the fish like red cause it resembles gills {Internet ad not grizzly catalog} Now something ain't right lol. Since I am not a genius what is the reason for red hooks and red line. If you fish with 6lb test line, seems to me as small as it is, the fish dont look for the line, it is looking at lunch or whatever you are presenting to the fish. I think strength and small is what a person should be looking at instead of color? Or if you can't see the line maybe a color would help. I have been using clear line and gold hooks for 35 years and guess what last time I went fishing they still caught fish lol. By the way I like the Grizzly catalog lot of good prices in there. Well you old timers what have ya'll done about these red things do you use them or do you still use them gold shiner hook's lol. And one last thing any of you use them Grizzly Jigs they sure look good. I think I am gonna order me some of them to give them the test but would like to hear from all you pro's first lol thanks Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

TERRY-I USE THE RED CAJUN LINE BECAUSE ITS EASY FOR ME TO SEE.THE 6LB TEST HAS SMALL DIAMETER,IS TUFF,AND DOES APPEAR TO DISAPPEAR UNDER WATER! I ALSO USE SOME RED HOOKS-ESPECALLY ON MY JIGS.HERE ON DALE HOLLOW ITS PRETTY CLEAR AND THE RED WORKS PRETTY WELL IN MY OPINION.IT SEEMS TO TRIGGER SOMETHING IN THE FISH ALOT OF TIMES[wounded bait?].I STILL USE GOLD &BLACK HOOKS TOO .THE GRIZZLY JIGS ARE GOOD-I LIKE THE CHART. GOOGLE EYES. HOPE THIS HELPS SOME--GOOD FISHIN TO YA !!DENNIS
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I get your drift.......I too have wondered about that. Line disappears, but the jigheads, hooks, etc do not? Doesn't make any sense. I recently watched a bass pro talk about that on t.v. He really didn't have an answer either.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

who knows what a fish realy see. a red gill of a fish may not look redbut it would look the same color to a crappie as a red hook or anything red . like camoflage suites a deer dont know the differense in color . they say it is all black and white but they saye it is the same as they see in trhe woods and not a blob of black and nothing different than what they see in the woods . that may be the thing that they see best at the depth becouse of the light penitration . . realy who knows what they see realy . just what they see best at the depth becouse of the light penitration . that red may not change to them in some water at 10 ft . just my 2 cents worth . any one want some change .
    retired and now i will always fish

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish eyes

Dr. Bass says fish see in technicolor. I'm not sure. Crappie are preditors. They are like people. They hungary, they gonna eat. Me, I like steak medium rare. But, if I am hungary, I'll eat it burnt. Fish hungry, they eat anything. Fish ain't hungry, the get picky, just like us.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Im not that much of a crappie fisherman but i am a bass fisherman. Fish can see color and some fish can see only certain shades but one thing all fish have in common is that they can see red. I will always use flourcarbon cause because it is invisible under water.Some fish attack laser pointers so red has some predatory thing to it but i dont think red line disapeers at 3 feet. I think it has a lot to do with water clarity and stuff like that.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

Some species of fish see color as well as we do - namely the salmonoids. Bass and sunfish are almost as good. The walleye family don't see color well, but see better in dim light than the others. It's all a matter of rods and cones.

According to divers, red doesn't really "disappear" - it goes grey at about ten feet in clear water. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

IN my kokanee fishing time I have learened that red will disapear at 30 to 40 feet depending on sunlight, But it can still be seen at 50 feet.Do to the wavelength of the red it will drasticaly change color and as the fish gets closer to the bait the color change can acually scare the fish off.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Driftwood ...

first, take a look at my reply to Crappster's post - "Power Pro" ... that'll give you some indication of how the "wording" of advertisements can be a bit misleading.
    Actually - red doesn't "disappear" at ANY depth .... the lower level of light, at increasing depths, decreases the red reflective properties of the pigment in the line ... basically making it "look" black (in the blackness of water with little to no light penetration). (Moose - correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I saw an ad on a TV Anglers show, a long time ago, where they were advertising line ... their line (clear/blue) was supposed to be "less visible" than any of the other lines. They had a diver, in a clear (Fla ?) lake, hold a frame with half a dozen different lines in it, in what appeared to be about 8-10ft deep water. The ad was supposed to show that "their" line was less visible than the various other "clear/blue & colored" lines of other brands. What I saw was, that I could clearly see all the lines equally well .... and if they hadn't pointed out which line was theirs - I'd have never known !

The "red hook" phenomenon is ad hype to some, a miracle to others, and a "confidence booster" to others. I've used hooks colored gold, black, gunmetal blue, bronze, steel silver, and red. And I can't say that one has ever done better than the other ... simply based on its color.

I've heard the red hooks are supposed to resemble "flaired gills" of a fleeing or distressed fish, or a "blood trail" from an injured fish. (mostly hyped for use on crankbaits). In this sense, it would have to be shallow, clear water for the color to be noticable. Red line is supposed to be "invisible" once it goes beyond a certain depth ... remaining visible above water and in shallow water, but darkening (losing color) in the depths. While I can't dispute any of these claims, I do take them in context. I don't think they do any harm, and may well prove to be productive ... I just don't think they make as big a difference as the ad would have us believe.

Ever had a minnow or small Bluegill "bite" at the line, where it enters the water ?? Is the fish biting the line - or biting the "dimple" in the water's surface, that it perceives as being an insect ? I believe it's biting at the "dimple" ... otherwise it would probably bite the portion of line that is underwater, too. That hasn't happened, that I know of .... so I think they are ignoring the line, itself - and concentrating on what they perceive as "food". And if you can fool a fish that small, to whom the line must appear as fairly large (in comparison to its own size), then a much larger fish should pay even less attention to the line - and concentrate its attention on the bait attached. ...................but, that's just my opinion - for what it's worth. .........luck2ya .......cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep

I am with you here Pappy......
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast