Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Pulling Formula

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Pulling Formula

With all the talk about formula's for Bandit's, how bout some formula's for longlining [pulling ] jigs and speeds for different size jigs.

srm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    With all the talk about formula's for Bandit's, how bout some formula's for longlining [pulling ] jigs and speeds for different size jigs.

srm
    I usually troll with my troll motor set on or about 3 of 10 on a variable speed motor. If I am using either a 1/32 or a 1/16 oz. jig depending on the fish and depth. If I am at 6'-7' or less I always use a 1/32 and over than I go to a 1/16 much of the time.

I have caught crappie in the fall around and over grass in water 14' deep using a 1/32oz. Roadrunner or jig. It's very hard to beat a custom tied Roadrunner for this type fishing, but I also do use just regular jigs as much as I do the RR.

I do plan on using a 1/64 oz. next spring a good bit and I just have not had them before, but I think they will be excellent.

Adjust for the fish and wind, meaning sometimes the fish want it slower even maybe at 2 or maybe even a little over 3. Then the wind, you can judge from hoe fast it feel or looks compared when there is not wind to speak of and when the wind is blowing some just nudge the speed a little down if going away and up if going into the wind.

I have a hand full of colors I almost always use, my Christmas Jig, Silver/FL Yellow/Lt. Blue (#16 hackle tail), FL. Chart/Variegated black & Fl. Yellow/Hot Orange marabou (my number #24) and Silver/Lt. Blue/White (#17 or #18).

Click on the pic with numbered jigs at the bottom of this page to see the jigs with their numbers.... http://thumpitjigs.com/Jigs.html

That would be my top 4 and I use others, but these are my go to jigs.

Hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!