Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Visibility Line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Visibility Line?

I Was Looking At Some Of "Mr. Crappie's" gold, high vis. line, At Bps The Other Day And Talked Myself Out Of Getting Some. Seems If It's Easier For Me To See That It Would Also Be Easier For The Fish To See. Has Anybody Except "wally" Used It? Pros And Cons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKET HEAD
    Seems If It's Easier For Me To See That It Would Also Be Easier For The Fish To See.
    You're probably right, but just because the fish can see it doesn't mean the fish are frightened by it. Garry Mason, a crappie guide on Kentucky Lake, uses chartreuse-colored line because he thinks it actually attracts crappie.

I generally use clear line, but Mason may be right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKET HEAD
    I Was Looking At Some Of "Mr. Crappie's" gold, high vis. line, At Bps The Other Day And Talked Myself Out Of Getting Some. Seems If It's Easier For Me To See That It Would Also Be Easier For The Fish To See. Has Anybody Except "wally" Used It? Pros And Cons.
    I've been using it since the Spring and love it. It helps me see the line move especially when it goes slack or moves sideways. I fish Sardis Lake in Mississippi and it's been unusually clear this year due to very little rain. I'm certain that it's easier for the crappie to see the high vis line as you stated but I've convinced myself that they don't seem to mind since I've caught more crappie this year than ever before.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the chartreuse stuff for a few years, and haven't noticed any change in my fishing. 4lb stuff is hard to see, and the brighter the better. I think people give fish too much credit for brain size.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Vis

I Have Been Using Stren Gold 6# For About 2 Years And The Visibility Factor Alows Me To See Some Bites That I Would Probably Miss. I Am Sold On The Hi Vis Line.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Myself, along with a BUNCH of other people on here use it. Its inexpensive, strong and easy to see bites. I use 6#. JMO

Post Thanks / Like

I've used it for several years and love it. I've got it on 5 or 6 reels. Catch just as many as before I used it and since I'm pushing 60 I can see it much better than other lines. Also the price is right. I use the 6 lb.

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried the gold , but i love the hi vis chart. wally marshall in 6#...smooth casting , tough line. I have caught more BIG crappie this year since i stated using it.
    I don't go Fishing...I go CATCHING!

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/Badi2de/

Post Thanks / Like

If ya' want the best of both worlds, use a hi-vis line and tie on a few feet of fluorocarbon for a leader. The fish don't get spooked and you can still see them pick-up the bait.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Seeing is believing ...

I do alot of casting & dock shooting, for Crappie. Retrieve speeds are as slow as I can manage, and still be bringing the lure towards me. Bites are usually fairly subtle, being mostly just a faint "tic' in the line. More often than not, I "see" a hit, rather than feel one. With hi-vis lines, it's much easier to detect those subtle hits, under most all lighting conditions. The results are, that I know when I've had a hit ... before the fish knows, that what it has just hit, isn't edible :p

I've used the hi-vis lines for well over 15yrs. And while I don't fish crystal clear waters, I have used them with success, in waters that have 3-4ft visibility depths.

Stren Gold
    Berkley Trilene Photochromic
    Berkley Solar XT
    Berkley Iron Silk Solar
    Mr Crappie Super hi-vis
    PowerPro hi-vis Yellow

... have all been on my reels, at one time or another. Currently using Mr Crappie Super hi-vis, Stren Gold, & PowerPro 10/2 Yellow. (Solar XT was replaced by Iron Silk, but neither is being mfg'd any longer)

I'm of the same mind as CatFan, in that I don't think the fish are as smart as we give them credit being. They may be able to see the line, but that doesn't mean they understand what it is, or associate it with anything negative. We wouldn't be able to catch any fish, if they did

Confidence is one of the biggest factors in fishing success. If you don't have confidence in the lure you're using ... you don't fish it the same as you would, if you did ! Same with line, and line color ... you start blaming the lack of success, on equipment choice ... when other factors are most likely the culprit. If you don't think you can have confidence in a hi-vis line ... don't use it. Just like, if you don't have confidence that 4lb line will bring a fish to the boat ... use a heavier pound test !! (I catch Crappie on Spiderwire 20/6, a silver colored line, tied directly to a hook ... and I can guarantee you that the fish can see it. They just seem to be more interested in the minnow, and ignore the line, as well as that hook !! )

Hi-vis lines may not be necessary for some applications/methods ... like trolling or tightlining, or even vertical jigging ... times when you see/feel the hit with the rod. But, for casting and other related methods, where seeing the hit in the line is your primary indication of the hit ... I think it helps a great deal. IMHO it does, anyway.

... luck2ya ... cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast