Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drill Instructor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drill Instructor

Hey Drill Instructor -

Sorry I missed you the other night at the crappie shop......

Let me know if you need anything from the crappie shop and I can bring it up to you the day before Regionals at The Hill, okay?

FYI - I will be fishing at Oconee this Monday March 7th, then out at West Point on March 12th for CrappieUSA tournament, so let me know what you got planned.

Talk to you soon -
    GABoy
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GaBoy, I'm sure we will need something. If the Crappie Shop get those champion rods in 16ft, i want a couple of them. Other than that, I have everything a need except a 4lb crappie
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drill instructor
    Thanks GaBoy, I'm sure we will need something. If the Crappie Shop get those champion rods in 16ft, i want a couple of them. Other than that, I have everything a need except a 4lb crappie
    I heard that!!!

I will keep my eyes out for them 16fters for you.
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Shop

GaBoy, finally made it down to Crappie Shop last weekend. Met Steve and a friend that had finished 3 or 4 down at Talquin. Told them you had said good things and had given me directions down there. Both friendly and very willing to share and offered fishing advice. Was able to find several colors of trips that I hadn't been able to find, and bought several packs of the small paddle tail grubs for slow trolling. Also got several packs of his minnow head jigs - look good with big hooks. Strange thing - I bought the only card of Hal Flies he had left - said he couldn't give them away, and unless I missed them I didn't see a tube jig in the place . Part of it could be that he carries what he uses - but then he's won two nice bass (crappie) boats with what he uses !! I checked the Crappie USA website and looked up tourney results for last year - unbelieveable how many fishermen from mid-GA,Gray, Macon, Warner Robins, etc finish so high in the standings -- they must feed off each other sharing info, etc. Anyway, glad to find the shop - just have to get some of this stuff wet ! JimA

Post Thanks / Like

EXCELLENT Jim!! Glad to hear you made it down there....it really is a great place to buy supplies from, you are correct about the Hal Flys, I personally don't use them much myself, but he doesn't have a strong demand for them by his regular customers.

He does have quite a selection in the tripple ripple, AWD, Crappie Snacks, Kalin, and Sliders for SURE!

Those tri-head jigheads are my absolute favorite, I can't remember the last time I actually tied on a round head either......

He has just a couple packs of tube jigs maybe, I don't really rememeber if he even has that.....that is another type of bait that I don't use much either now that you mention it.

There wouldn't be anything better to carry since you will be able to personally attest to the success of those particular baits! I know if I won two boats, I would be probably selling the stuff myself...ha ha!!

Yeah, it is amazing, there is going to be quite a strong showing this year from the middle-GA area at the CrappieUSA Classic.....a LARGE number of teams from Middle-GA have already qualified for the Classic.

What are your fishing plans for the next couple weeks....where do you normally fish at?

Quote Originally Posted by JimA
    GaBoy, finally made it down to Crappie Shop last weekend. Met Steve and a friend that had finished 3 or 4 down at Talquin. Told them you had said good things and had given me directions down there. Both friendly and very willing to share and offered fishing advice. Was able to find several colors of trips that I hadn't been able to find, and bought several packs of the small paddle tail grubs for slow trolling. Also got several packs of his minnow head jigs - look good with big hooks. Strange thing - I bought the only card of Hal Flies he had left - said he couldn't give them away, and unless I missed them I didn't see a tube jig in the place . Part of it could be that he carries what he uses - but then he's won two nice bass (crappie) boats with what he uses !! I checked the Crappie USA website and looked up tourney results for last year - unbelieveable how many fishermen from mid-GA,Gray, Macon, Warner Robins, etc finish so high in the standings -- they must feed off each other sharing info, etc. Anyway, glad to find the shop - just have to get some of this stuff wet ! JimA
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Default GaBoy

GB - havn't wet a hook this year. Favorite and usual lake is Oconee and plan to be over there week after next - work next week - and usually fish during the week. Hope to make a trial run to Jackson this weekend just to check boat/motor and fishing setup. Am looking forward to doing more slow trolling this year - bought a 4th Uncle Buck 12' Rod to fish out front, use 2 10's and 2 6's out back. Sounded like Steve usually long line trolls- 2 small (1/48 & 1/32) jigs and vary speed to control depth. He highly recommends minnow heads with the small paddle tail (what is name of this thing ?). Did notice a boat outside that had two tripple jigs rigged with a 3-way and 1/2 oz sinker - believe call this Capps and Coleman type setup. I thought this was usually a minnow rig, but guess you could control depth and use trips. With the success these guys have had, would not argue with anything they recommend. JimA

Post Thanks / Like

GB - havn't wet a hook this year. Favorite and usual lake is Oconee and plan to be over there week after next - work next week - and usually fish during the week. Hope to make a trial run to Jackson this weekend just to check boat/motor and fishing setup. Am looking forward to doing more slow trolling this year - bought a 4th Uncle Buck 12' Rod to fish out front, use 2 10's and 2 6's out back. Sounded like Steve usually long line trolls- 2 small (1/48 & 1/32) jigs and vary speed to control depth. He highly recommends minnow heads with the small paddle tail (what is name of this thing ?). Did notice a boat outside that had two tripple jigs rigged with a 3-way and 1/2 oz sinker - believe call this Capps and Coleman type setup. I thought this was usually a minnow rig, but guess you could control depth and use trips. With the success these guys have had, would not argue with anything they recommend. JimA
    Darn....you picked a pretty good time to get started anyhow!!! I will let you know what i find out about Oconee this Monday....I will be headed up there.

Do you have anything smaller than 6's....that way you could use your really small rods out the back, and your 10's and 12's out the front...giving you more rods?

Yes, that is primarily how he would fish.....varying the jighead size based on the depth he wants to get to.....

The tri-heads are the jigheads....and he was either talking about Crappie Snacks (small triangle paddle tail) or the Sliders (bigger circular paddle tail).

Yeah I would say they have been pretty successful so far myself!!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Set-up

GB - usually long line with 12/10/6/6 out front right and same set up out back left. It is so hard to face backwards in my rear seat - 16' alum Fisher Marine - that rear fisher usually just turns left. If I was slow-trolling by myself or with wife would use my regular rod holders up front to add a couple of rods. If with another fishing buddy would set him up to fish 2 or 3 10's out to sides and as many short rods with slip corks as he wanted to handle.
    The little jigs were the Crappie Snacks -- look really good, and should have good action, as well as being a good size for this early in the year. I had bought a pack of these last year and they were identified as 'AWD' lures from SC, but I couldn't remember the Snack part, but they are the same. This may be who Crappie Shop buys from. Havn't been yet because I have a new Tacoma and have not been able to find a hitch or pig-tail yet. Appearently it is new this year and nobody can get it. Going to break down and call dealer as a last resort. I appreciate all your informative posts and wish you luck. Looking forward to seeing you on the lake someday. JimA

Post Thanks / Like

GB - usually long line with 12/10/6/6 out front right and same set up out back left. It is so hard to face backwards in my rear seat - 16' alum Fisher Marine - that rear fisher usually just turns left. If I was slow-trolling by myself or with wife would use my regular rod holders up front to add a couple of rods. If with another fishing buddy would set him up to fish 2 or 3 10's out to sides and as many short rods with slip corks as he wanted to handle.
    The little jigs were the Crappie Snacks -- look really good, and should have good action, as well as being a good size for this early in the year. I had bought a pack of these last year and they were identified as 'AWD' lures from SC, but I couldn't remember the Snack part, but they are the same. This may be who Crappie Shop buys from. Havn't been yet because I have a new Tacoma and have not been able to find a hitch or pig-tail yet. Appearently it is new this year and nobody can get it. Going to break down and call dealer as a last resort. I appreciate all your informative posts and wish you luck. Looking forward to seeing you on the lake someday. JimA
    Sounds like you have it figured out to fit your boats needs!!

That is what matters!

I got my hitch installed at U-Haul and they installed the frame hitch and all the necessary wiring in less than an hour and even put a different type of wiring harness so I didn't have to have a pigtail hanging down...I have a plug instead...it cost about $ 245 or so for everything.....frame hitch, receiver, installation, wiring, plug, and tax....etc.....and that also includes a lifetime warranty....couldn't find a better deal anywhere else...I would check with them too.....
    ><)))*>