Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: establishing a pattern

Post Thanks / Like

Default establishing a pattern

Today while I caught 16, mainly just keepers, 10" min. I was unable to find a hot color/size/bait, talking about jigs not minnows, nothing was outstanding today. I usually start out with 4 different lures, 2 big baits, 2", and 2 smaller lures, different colors and try to let the fish tell me what they prefer, but to day did not have a hot pole. How do you folk start the day? Did have a few with some 3" shad in their gut, looks like happy days are not too far off.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

thats a great question. cant wait to read the responses. i allways start out with the live bait then move to the smaller plastics then im just guessin after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I only fish with minnows and three basic jig colors, bait choice is not usually too much of an issue. The fish will tell me what they perfer that day and it might change as the day progresses. Depth and location is more of an issue. Factoring in what the fish did the day before and what the weather has done to the water, I choose a depth and location (ie: 15' in 25' of water on creek channels). From there I make adjustments. I may make the presentation shallower or deeper and I might move from channels to points or coves. If it doesn't work when you zig, then zag. If neither works, try the unorthodox, you have nothing to loose. If that doesn't work, we call it a moving day (the crappie are in transition from place to place, usually not feeding well) and they'll be settled enough tomorrow to be caught.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Darryl
    What is the three colors, or color combo's, you use?
    My bag is full of about 95 color combinations.
    Life should be simpler, fill me in sir!

"Many thanks, and be safe!"
    Rick .
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

I will start out by doing and going to what worked last time ...assuming it wasn't too long ago....if the fish aren't where I thought they should be I go to the first break and troll or drift ...trying to cover some ground....and I mean long line trolling not slow trolling...hopefully I can find some fish that way and hit them more precisely with a jig and minnow under a bobber to control my depth more accurately...sometimes though for whatever reason the fish want everything moving..spot may have alot of fish but when I stop trolling/drifting to try hitting the spot more directly...no go...so back to trolling/drifting I go !
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxingref_rick
    Ok, Darryl
    What is the three colors, or color combo's, you use?
    My bag is full of about 95 color combinations.
    Life should be simpler, fill me in sir!

"Many thanks, and be safe!"
    Rick .
    All hairjigs -- (1) gray head on gray tail with a red thread neck (sometimes a silver body), (2) white head on char tail with red thread neck (or sometimes a silver body), (3) orange head, black body and char tail. Those are the three basic color combos I use. Light colored jig for bright days, gray jig for gray days, contrasting jig for stained and muddy water.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    How do you folk start the day?
    I start shallow and work my towards deep until i find the depth the fish are holding,then hit all the spots i know around the same depth. if they quit biting start over some times they move shallower other times deeper

Post Thanks / Like

In my book stained waters require chart. or yellow color combos and clear water require white color combos.
    It's more about where are they.Once I find them it's all over for those slabs.
    The size has something to do with it too.
    Depending on the season I'm going with bigger baits or like in the winter I'm downsizing.

I should stress that I'm never using meat for bait.
    Last edited by crappiekeith; 10-17-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoying the replys. Maybe my question need a little more light on it. Like I said I start out with 4 different lures looking for a pattern. When I get on the fish a lot of the time all will come on one or two of the poles and nothing on the others. So I do think the crappie are saying this is what I like now at this time. I do know that a lot of times if the sun comes out or it gets overcast that preferance changes,in MHO. Don't use minnows. Maybe I'm over complicating this crappie fishing.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 10-17-2007 at 09:16 AM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a jointed rapala... so its simple...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast