Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sw Ohio / When to start

Post Thanks / Like

Question Sw Ohio / When to start

How soon is too soon to get out on Acton and expect some kind of success? I would like to think drifting in deep water might pick up a few crappie soon after all the ice is gone? Any ideas?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    - Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like

We were at Rush Run last Saturday and the water temp at the ramp was only 44 degrees. I imagine it was a couple degrees colder in open water - before this latest cold weather.
    Acton usually runs about the same, so you're probably looking at pretty slow crappie action there, but hey, it beats sitting in front of the tube. If you drift minnows in front of the lodge, you might pick up some saugeyes. They ought to be getting a little size to them now.
    Another place to try if you're up for a short hike, is the pool below the dam. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Question Last week in March?

I’ve never tried to put the boat in the water the last week in March however my vacation (spring break) starts March 25th. I know "it all depends on the weather" but in general is that too early. Might it be better to fish below the dam at CJ Brown, Indian Lake or Acton? How far south would I need to travel to find water warm enough to be productive?
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    - Winston Churchill

Brian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jab
    I’ve never tried to put the boat in the water the last week in March however my vacation (spring break) starts March 25th. I know "it all depends on the weather" but in general is that too early. Might it be better to fish below the dam at CJ Brown, Indian Lake or Acton? How far south would I need to travel to find water warm enough to be productive?
    I also fish southwest ohio and generally start around mid March fishing deep points with structure close to the main channels. I have friends that are already catching fish deep, just got to dress warm and find them. In regards to traveling to find crappie, we are heading to Lake Weiss Alabama late March which is typically the start of the spawn, weather permitting of course. We also have a trip planned to Kentucky lake the second week of April. Generally, their spawn will be around the first two or or three weeks of April, again at the mercy of the weather. IF your wanting to find fish this time of the year shallow, your got to pack it up and head SOUTH. Good Luck this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks for info...

Sounds like Caesars Creek might be a good place to start … deep water, near channels, with structure.
    - Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like

Question Does anyone Fish East Fork for Crappie?

When is a good time to start to hit East Fork Lake for Crappie and what are some good areas to fish there?
    Thanks,
    Bassky :p

Post Thanks / Like

According to our copy of Sportman's Connection book of lake maps, most crappie are found "in the two long bays opposite the boat ramp at the east end of the lake." The ODNR fishing reports should start soon and you may get weekly info there. It also says the lake has good sized crappie, but I've always heard it's known for its big wipers.
    The only time I was ever on the lake, it was crawling with speed boats and skiers. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern