Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting docks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shooting docks?

Would someone tell me how to shoot docks? I have fished for crappie several ways and caught fish every way. This however is one I am not familiar with. Would be siimlar to skipping jigs under private boat docks?
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

I just give myself about 4 feet of line on my ultralight from the last eye, Pull on the jig to load the rod then point and shoot. Will take a little practice and watch out how you hold the bait so you dont stick yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

you'll want a small line (4-6lb). I would use a 1/24 oz jig (if you can find them) or a 1/32 oz. 1/16 tend to sink to fast. I custom make all my dock shootin jigs and I make 1/24 oz heads. To me, they seem to work the best. www.jiffyjigs.com make some 1/24 oz jigs that work very well also.

You wanna get the jig as far back under the dock/pontoon as possible b/c thats usually where the crappie will be(getting it in the smallest/darkest places is always the best). Sometimes its possible to go around to the backside of the dock and shoot it from the back. I usually try three methods, all of which start off by shooting it under the boat/dock as far as possible and finish by watching your line(when the fish grab your jig you will just see your line jump usually(most time you will not feel a bite unless they are really aggressive), this is when you set the hook). If you dont set the hook in time they'll usually spit the jig back out and leave you empty handed:
    1. reel very very slow and watch your line.
    2. just let your jig sink to the bottom and then slowly work it out(they'll usually hit it on its way down)
    3. reel, bounce bounce, reel... sorta like working a bass worm.

Experiment with different colors alot.... If you catch a couple fish out from under a dock and then they turn cold, switch colors. Its rare that only 1-2 fish are under a dock. Usually where there is one, there will be atleast a small school.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Hold the jigs in one hand pulling it until the rod bends wile keeping line from coming off the reel with the other hand and like a bow and arrow. Shoot it under the dock by releasing the jig letting the bent rod sling it for you then let it fall some, then reel slowly. Look for the hit all the time
    especially on the fall.

Small jigs, 1/64, 1/32 and as someone said maybe even a 1/24.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Bandit ....

Quote Originally Posted by EDDY CREEK BANDIT
    Would someone tell me how to shoot docks? I have fished for crappie several ways and caught fish every way. This however is one I am not familiar with. Would be siimlar to skipping jigs under private boat docks?
    THE BANDIT
    look thru this thread - http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...=dock+shooting - and see if it helps.

And, if I didn't mention it in that thread ... follow up your "dock shooting", with "Vertical Casting" It can (and has) put a few more fish in the boat.

ps ... don't forget to shoot "pontoons", too

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an article that I wrote on dock shooting. This is my FAVORITE way to fish. Hope this helps! http://www.bnmpoles.com/index.cfm?fu...feature_id=139

Thanks,
    Russ
    www.midwestcrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bandit....

After the tournament last weekend out of Paris Landing I bet a bunch of people will be asking the same question. It has worked pretty well for me on several lakes, but never done much on Kentucky lake shooting docks for some reason...wonder what the secret was?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by russ
    Here is an article that I wrote on dock shooting. This is my FAVORITE way to fish. Hope this helps! http://www.bnmpoles.com/index.cfm?fu...feature_id=139

Thanks,
    Russ
    www.midwestcrappie.com
    I read the article, I am confused on the float/jig combo. It seems like this would be very awkward with a float. I have enough trouble just trying to shoot a jig under a dock much less with a float attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Drew we fished the classic and we caught most of our fish shooting docks in big sandy... Mostly marinas and few other docks down in west sandy. Granted we only finished 34th though so we didn't produce what the winners did. We had some finds that fished the north end of the lake and all they did was shoot docks and they finished 7th I believe. We could catch all we wanted of 10-11" fish from the docks. Just no big ones...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I have read the article (which I found after my post) it was informative. Still wonder how to identify which docks to try. How deep should the water be and that sort of stuff?
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast