Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pontoon fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default pontoon fishing

I am looking to upgrade boats. I currently have a 16ft jon boat that i use for electric only lakes. I want to start fishing bigger lakes, like Kentucky Lake. I also want to get a boat that can be used as a family boat. I have two young girls and thought maybe a pontoon would be best for my family because of the rails around the boat. My question is can you seriously fish out of a pontoon? It seems to me like it would be very hard to fish out of one.

Post Thanks / Like

You can, depends on how much money you have, to set it up right, and how big a toon you buy. I wouldn't think it would be ideal for fishing, but it can be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Dad has one and the wind is rough on it, not as easily fished out of as a regular bass boat but more room and easier to move around?

Post Thanks / Like

Toons rule.What you fish for? I will post pics of some great crappie toons,and catfish toons,Stripper fishing toons.I wouldnt ever fish anything but them or deckboats.

Post Thanks / Like

o yea I got my 28fter toon for 1k.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The only way to go

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepants
    I am looking to upgrade boats. I currently have a 16ft jon boat that i use for electric only lakes. I want to start fishing bigger lakes, like Kentucky Lake. I also want to get a boat that can be used as a family boat. I have two young girls and thought maybe a pontoon would be best for my family because of the rails around the boat. My question is can you seriously fish out of a pontoon? It seems to me like it would be very hard to fish out of one.
    Stepped up to a pontoon myself. It's the only way to go for older folks and younger kids. We need to move around every so often. Get in the shade or get out of the shade. Go wee wee in private, set, lay, or play. If it's that windy out you don't need to have your kids out there in danger. Fishing is for fun where I'm concerned so it works for me. Good luck whatever way you go. Ferdi aka Fred:D

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies. If its not too much trouble i would really like to see the pictures. I fish mostly for crappie but also love to jug fish for cats. Do pontoons sit close enough to the water to easily pick jugs up out of the water?

Post Thanks / Like

You could allways use a pole and hook for jugging.Also think about a large center console for comfort.
    CATCH FILLET

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing out of a bass boat for years, mostly crappie fishing. I went a couple of weeks ago night fishing with a friend of mine in his pontoon and WOW it was fun. Don't get me wrong, it was no speed demon but it was comfortable as I've ever been in a boat. His is the fishing version which has shorter rails on the front. It had a Bimini top which kept the sun off us while going to our spot and worked great for clipping lights on once it was dark. He has one of those 3X hand controlled MK trolling motors on the front and a 4 stroke on the back. This thing is even setup for spider rigging. I would have one of these in a minute if I could afford one. I can only think of a couple downsides.

1. Harder to trailer than a regular bass or Jon boat.
    2. Most pontoons don't fit in your garage.

Other than that, these things are sweeeeet.

Later,
    Buzz

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Flopeye, I would like to see those pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast