Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: strongest 4lb mono

Post Thanks / Like

Default strongest 4lb mono

okay
    I need to know which is the strongest 4lb mono to use. I've tried mr. crappie, eagle claw, and stren gold. Lost fish on all. I know its going to happen sometimes but what do you all think?
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Don't quite understand losing fish on the Mr. Crappie 4 lb. I have landed 5 lb + catfish, and a 24" Drum on the stuff. It has been more of a problem trying to break the stuff off on a "Hung-up" swim bait. And the 6 lb stuff "wont" break. I cut my hand trying to break it, and finally ended up pulling the anchored boat to the stake bed and digging the lure off.
    "You ain't holdin' your mouth right! Did ya spit on your hook?"
    Grandpa

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use triline 4lb test. I have landed good size fish on it and can break it if I am snagged.

Post Thanks / Like

gamma competition grade 4lb is one of the best I have used. P-line cxx is the strongest if you can live with the memory.

Post Thanks / Like

No competition - Gamma or sufix promix. Both just as strong but WAY stronger than any other. Promix is cheap and Gamma is expensive, but prolly a little better in a couple ways. I love em both. Try em and you'll never go back.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I started using an copolymer line called Silver Thread AN40. The smallest that I've been able to find it is in 6lb, but it is only .0086" dia. This line has very low memory. I have it on all of my ultra lite spinning reels and when using jig's, I'll put an Spro size 6 or smaller barrel swivel anywhere from 6" to 10" in front of the jig and have vitrually no line twist. I know you're asking about 4lb. but this Silver Thread seems to be really strong for being so small. Hope this helps.

GW

Post Thanks / Like

Cajun Red has been the strongest line I can find....I use 6 lb most of the time and get out of brush piles vertical jigging all the time....But its not the best for casting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    okay
    I need to know which is the strongest 4lb mono to use. I've tried mr. crappie, eagle claw, and stren gold. Lost fish on all. I know its going to happen sometimes but what do you all think?
    How do you lose a crappie on 4lb line? Maybe the knot you're using is weak or the line was just old. I've never had a crappie break 4lb line.

Back to your question -- first ignore the listed "pound test" on the box and look at the diameter of the line. Most 4lb line sold in the US is .20mm in diameter. .20mm line will break at around 6lb of pressure. Maxima sells real 4lb (2 kilo) line. It has a diameter of .17mm. Some of the Spiderwire 4lb mono is also in the .16-.18mm range. Bass Pro Excel also has a small diameter. They used to show the diameter on the box, but they don't anymore.

So, if you're looking for a good .20mm line, it think Trilene XL is very hard to beat. But if you're looking for a "real" 4lb line, go with Maxima.

Post Thanks / Like

P-Line XXX
    "Dude, where's my float?"

Post Thanks / Like

Berkley Sensation is the smallest yet strongest line i've found.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast