Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube jig question(s)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tube jig question(s)

All,
    We were in Canada this past June and caught our crappies on 2" tube jigs and I was going to purchase some and wondered "in general" if 2" is a good all around size? I have fished all my life but just not much of a crappie person. We typically bluegill fish at home in Indiana but when my father/I go to Canada we like to catch some crappies. We were on Lake of the Woods if anyone has been there I would like to talk more about the crappies.

The reason for the 2" was the resort owners father allowed us to follow and this is what he gave us to use and the best colors were blue/white and twin tail chartruese grub. I had planned on buying one of the crappie kits with 400-500 tubes in different colors. We fish the tubes in 3-4' of water on a slip bobber and no live bait/scent and we fished a wind blown banks near the reeds.

Thank and any advice is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

In my book they are not. They do work, at times but I prefer smaller.
    1967/68

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Thompmd ....

Tubes I use come in 1.5" - 1.75" - 2"
    The 1.5" are hollow body tubes
    The 1.75" are solid body tubes
    The 2" are hollow body tubes

I rarely use 2" tubes ... used to always use 1.5" hollow body tubes ... currently use mostly 1.75" solid body tubes. Solid body tubes seem to stay on the jig better/longer, don't get pulled off the retainer barb by Bluegill, and don't tear up as easily as hollow body tubes.

In the clear waters of Canadian lakes, and fishing that shallow ... I don't think there'd be much difference (to the fish) in a 1.5" or 2" tube. If they hit a 2" tube, they'll hit a smaller one ... as well as a bigger bait. I don't think your Indiana Crappie will care much, either.

Colors are a whole other deal :D .... and consensus has it, that most any color works at times -- Chartreuse is a good color, when combined with most other colors, or by itself --- different lakes, and even the same lake on different days (and even during the same day), occasionally requires a color change.

I'm not much on "kits", since you usually end up with mostly white tails. Although, with a bottle of plastics dye, you CAN change that ... if need be. But, I'm not going to try and persuade you to not buy a "kit" ... I've got 3 tackleboxes full of different Crappie baits, and never bought a "kit" in my life :D (yes sir, the BaitMonkey has a solid grip on me :p )

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the 1.5" hollow tubes to the 2 inchers,and the Crappie Thunders as far as solid bodies go.Cabela's sell a Southern Pro tube kit that is a real good place to start.There are some colors in there that I don't use,but alot of good ones also and it's like 1000 pcs or something for 30 bucks.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer 1.5-1" tubes. For me small baits work best.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm a little different but I like the 2" tubes. These are my favorite ones http://www.southernpro.com/UCT.cfm but I also like Mid-South tubes also, a lot more colors. I usually have 4 poles off the front and have at least 1 with a big bait, sometimes it's no good but not a lot. Lately the Panfish Assassins have been the hot bait tho. http://www.bassassassin.com/index.as...S&Category=175 with Electric Chicken being very good along with some I have taken my Sharpies too.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 10-15-2007 at 06:06 PM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I like 2" hollow tubes.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Fish almost exclusively 1.5" hollow body jigs except when I use sliders.

Post Thanks / Like

I ALWAYS fish 2 inch tube except in the winter at the Grenada Spillway. Then I'll downsize to a 1.5

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 1.5-1.75 hollow body filed with crappie nibbles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast