Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you change your line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you change your line?

How long do you keep braided on a reel verus mono and does any one prefill their spool with something cheap and tie on the braided?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newblade
    How long do you keep braided on a reel verus mono and does any one prefill their spool with something cheap and tie on the braided?
    I put bout 20 feet of cheap mono then fill with braid. Braid lasts longer but, has a tendancy to loose color quickly. Keep a sharpie and a plastic bag around to add color as needed. As far as how long, u will know.

King Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I don't change braid unless I've cut it off so many times that the spool needs refilling to cast well. I always use mono backing to keep the line from slipping on the spool. Braid doesn't stretch and will slip on the spool (unless you tape it or use a mono backing). Learned that one the hard way after filling a couple of spools with braid and found myself unable to land a good sized fish because the spool was slipping. I'm sure there's someone who knows a knot that will keep braid from slipping on the spool... but it's not me!
    Saves some bucks too.
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 10-14-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

change complete spool every year, then fill spool with some backer line and then add line I am going to use, then throughout the season I change top half of spool a couple of times as needed... I keep extra line in boat of different sizes and types as needed.. I spray my line often with Reel Magic as needed too!

Post Thanks / Like

I cut off the portion that is exposed going up the rod about every 4-5 months. The line on the spool is usually as good as new.

I do fill about 1/3 of the spool with mono then tie on the braid and finish spooling.

dlngr Guest

I'm new to this forum-great advice here! I just had to thank you guys. I have a newer Shakespeare reel loaded with 10# braid,thought the reel was junk,just spins and doesn't pull the line. Looked at it closely,and realized the line was slipping around the reel!
    Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

It can also depend on if your rod/reels are stored outside or inside and what kind of conditions you fish(around rocks, trees, open water, etc). I keep mine inside and I can go a long time without changing my line. I have more problems with line twist from it being on the reel.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometime I spool it off, reverse, and use the other end, its good as new!
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I try to make it where if I put about 50 yards of braid over the mono to fill the reel to the right level. I feel that no reason to use more than that as how many times will you ever have 50 yards of line out?

Also you really can't use braid without something on the spool first or it will slip.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like braid, but I still have a spool filled with the first spiderwire they first came out with, must be over 10 yrs old at least. For mono I used to have to change line 3-4 times a year with berkley trilene, but now that I use Gamma and Sufix promix I rarely have to respool once a year, sometimes longer. That stuff is tough and lasts.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast