Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pull starting 2006 Mercury 25ELPT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pull starting 2006 Mercury 25ELPT

Yesterday I discovered my boat battery was dead while loading my boat in the water,so I figured that it was no problem and I would pull start it.I clicked my key to the start position and attempted to pull the cord,it wouldn't pull.I am assuming that I did something wrong because the motor is almost new and this was the first time I tried to use the pull start.We ended up reversing the battery hookups and using the trolling motor battery to start the motor and then switching them back over and having a good day of Crappie fishing.Does anyone know why the pull starter wouldn't work?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Check the instruction book

Check the instruction book or look online at the book, you might have something you need to do BEFORE you can pull start your engine. Years ago I ran into a situation where you had a compression release you had to flip in order to be able to pull start the motor. Good luck, also glad you had the extra battery to get started with, the extra weight saved the bacon didn't it? Ferdi aka Fred

Post Thanks / Like

All new motors have a safety switch on them to insure that the motor cant be started in gear. Saw an old guy end up in the drink and his wife end up being thrown out onto the shore when the boat beached itself. His pride was injured the most. but probabally not as much as his ears. She was banged up pretty good and the crash turned her tounge into a razor, she was makin me blush!

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...I have to look in the manuel,if it wasen't for the extra battery my fishing day would have ended before it got started.