Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Pro Braid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Pro Braid

Anyone use Power Pro braided line 20lb test, thinking about spooling some up and maybe trying the neon green line also.

Post Thanks / Like

Use it all the time,8# diameter I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes #20 is 8# diameter. But 10/2 of 8/1 is really all You really need. #20 is a real bear to get unsnagged, and will cut You like a knife.

King Big
    Stinkies Daddy

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb PowerPro ....

Quote Originally Posted by stinkies daddy
    Yes #20 is 8# diameter. But 10/2 of 8/1 is really all You really need. #20 is a real bear to get unsnagged, and will cut You like a knife.
    King Big
    of any size, will cut you ... if you use bare hands to pull it free from being hung up. Wrap it around a solid object, preferably not a body part or rod handle, and "pull" (don't jerk) it free ... either by bending the hook open, or breaking the line.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Do they have anything in a 6 or 4 pound dia. seems like that is what people usually use - I am guessing so they can't see the line??

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Newblade ...

Quote Originally Posted by newblade
    Do they have anything in a 6 or 4 pound dia. seems like that is what people usually use - I am guessing so they can't see the line??
    PowerPro comes in these pound test/diameters : http://www.powerpro.com/purchase/sto..._CATEGORY_ID=1

And they come in these colors :
    Moss Green (lo-vis)
    Yellow (hi-vis)
    Phantom Red
    White

And, no ... people don't use mono or braid in small diameter/pound test, so fish can't see the line. It's mostly for the application of that line .... what method is used, reel size/rod action, fish species sought, line guide size, etc.

If I can see the line underwater ... I'm sure the fish can, too. But, fish can only learn to a limited degree ... and forget rather quickly (otherwise they would never get caught twice on artificial baits ) Line colors and sizes are mfg'd in multiple choices, for the angler's benefit.

I use hi-vis lines so that I can see them ... regardless of whether the fish can see them, or not. So far, they haven't seemed to care about the line color ... as long as the bait I'm using, is something they're interested in :D
    I cast a lot, and need to see the slightest movement in the line ... to detect the lightest of bites. I "see" 90% of the hits I get ... and never "feel" more than 20% of those I see, even though I'm using fairly sensitive rods. The "other" 10% of the hits I get ... I see and feel them, since those are the hard bites, or the line is taught from rod tip to bait when the fish hits. Most of the time there's a slight bow in the line ... either from the wind, or from my slow retrieve speed and light bait weight.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

the Power Pro 15# has the size dia. of 4#. I use it alot when we are trolling in the Hi-Vis Yellow. Getting to old to see any other color. Put a swivel on and attach 8# flo carbon.
    I also use the braid for regular jig fishing but you had better be ready for wind knots. The 10/2 or the 8/1# are so thin I cannot see to tie a knot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    of any size, will cut you ... if you use bare hands to pull it free from being hung up. Wrap it around a solid object, preferably not a body part or rod handle, and "pull" (don't jerk) it free ... either by bending the hook open, or breaking the line.

.... cp
    Good advice i keep a small dowell in the boat for just such an occasion! Takin it 1 step further i also heat the bend in my hooks just enough to make them loose a lil bit of temper (hardness) in the metal. Not that they are expensive , but it sure does get to be a pain to keep retyin.

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIGHT EYE
    I also use the braid for regular jig fishing but you had better be ready for wind knots. The 10/2 or the 8/1# are so thin I cannot see to tie a knot.

As far as wind knots, well.............. there just gonna happen. I try to keep a lil less line on the spool and I constantly check to see that it has wound on the spool. Picking wind knots sux but it can be done, I just hate to mess with them.

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I fish 30# braid on my one of my jig poles. It has 10# diameter, and I love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast