Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbie needing help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie needing help

Hello,

Newbie here and I had a question concerning a man-made 10ac lake here in Missouri I started fishing. I was told there were nice crappie by several people but I am unable to locate them so far, hoping to get some advice.

I took out a kayak today and a portable Eagle cuda 168 depthfinder. Most of the lake is 8-10' deep with no noticable features along the bottom, seems to be a smooth featureless bottom with no channels or timber/stumps. It is completely ringed in lily pads from the bank to at least 12' out. There are small patches of lily pads scattered throughout the lake and I have taken fish off of them. I have pulled several nice bluegill and shellcracker out in the 9-10" range and several 2.5/3lb bass but no crappie yet. Water temp is 67-68 and stained. I am using live minnows on slip bobber and jig (red)/grub (white) combo and small Bomber crank that work great on the bluegills/bass but again no crappie.

Unfortunately I had to leave before covering the entire lake. Heading back I did make a pass around the dam. I saw 16' and what looked like tall weeds coming up to 10-8' and fish. Unfortunately I was pressed for time and had never used this depthfinder before so I am going back tomorrow and check it out further. I know this is probably vague information.

On a side note I love the site. I have been "lurking" for a week or so and finally joined. Seems to be great input and I look forward to visting often. Thanks again for any advice.

Robert Jackson

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you're going about it the right way sometimes the crappie don't cooperate,try shallow around the pads and if that don't work go to the deep water and drift some minnows or jigs along the weed line....good luck and welcome to crappie.com.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about one of the state park lakes? Probably not, think they're bigger that 10acre... Unless they've refilled the little one upstream from Clearfork. Grew up in Knob... Well, got older, haven't grown up yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I felt I was on track but not catching anything was bugging me. I am still curious about the weedline around the dam ... if that is what it was. Don't get me wrong, I love the big bluegills but ready for some crappie.

I don't fish the state park in Knob it has to many people. I usually hit Kearns conservation, Hazel Hill, Concordia lake and the one I am inquiring about Pertle Springs in Warrensburg.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on over to the Missouri board there are some fellas on there that might be able to help you out.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie