Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Area fisheries biologist

Post Thanks / Like

Default Area fisheries biologist

Had a nice conversation with the area fisheries biologist (Mike Monce) today about what the Illini group can do to help to improve the crappie fishing. He spoke about the Lake Paradise project that is waiting on approval of grants. When grants come thru will need volunteer help. I for on hope I can help out. Another project that is an on-going one is the brood pond for walleye. This is a project that not only improves the walleye fishing but also the bass and crappie by feeding on the shad.

We also talked about placement of habitat that can be more permenant than the Christmas trees. I sent him a copy of Jerry Blake's article on the bamboo condos. He found it very interesting.

The subject of placing structure in lakes is allowed if permission is obtained from lake owner and the area fisheries biologist. He wants to some time work with the COE on Lake Shelbyville to place something that will be more permenant that the trees. Right now the DNR is being expected to do more with less.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

What are they planning at Paradise? I fish there some. As for money, I believe it can be found. I know here at Lake Mattoon, they get money every year from the power company that uses the lake water. Why not use that money to improve lake structure instead of just using it to stock fish? I think the lake needs more structure to have more fish, not just stocking fish that get ate because there is no structure to protect them.

Post Thanks / Like

Check the following website for News Release dated 3/5/
    http://www.epa.state.il.us/news-rele...ean-lakes.html
    It is my understanding that some of this has already happened but more is to come. Believe wetlands improvement is what Mike has coming up next.

I'm sure that if an individual or a group came up with ideas and funds for a project on Lake Mattoon that Mike would be willing to work with them. I'm sure there are funds available from some source for such an undertaking. Somebody would need to head it up and work with both the City of Mattoon (lake owner) and the DNR.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have a pretty full plate. So taking on other job would be out of the question. Something needs done, but it will take someone with more time to devote to it than I can give at this time.
    The Lake Paradise project doesn't look like it will help the fishing much.